Chapter 44

Sikuo Xin! Luo Gongzi actually understands this? Holding back his meal, the minister asked, “Really?”

“Of course,” Luo Yan replied smoothly. It seemed that Sikuo Xin paused his chopsticks and began to inquire further, “I know the names of the designs on your clothing, Minister Sikuo Xin. If you’d like to know more, feel free to ask. You can also write to me if I’m not in the capital; I will respond once I receive your letter.”

“Alright, Luo Gongzi, thank you very much!” Sikuo Xin said appreciatively.

With that, Sikuo Xin resumed eating. This spread of dishes was the most delicious meal he had enjoyed in his entire life!

Luo Yan remarked, “It seems that Minister Sikuo enjoys the dishes I prepared.”

Sikuo Xin replied, “...Luo Gongzi’s cooking is indeed delicious!”

After lunch, Han Xue and Xiao Han followed a palace maid to their resting quarters for an afternoon nap.

Meanwhile, Luo Yan was pulled aside by the emperor for a chat…

---

Luo Yan wondered how he would assist in handling state affairs, as most of the memorials he dealt with daily were trivial. However, it couldn’t be said they were entirely unimportant, especially with the Luo family’s presence. The authenticity of the memorials submitted daily remained uncertain because the Luo family controlled much of the power.

If Luo Gongzi genuinely intended to assist him, addressing the Luo family would be the first necessary step.

The emperor dismissed the imperial physician and the chefs, telling them to address any issues through letters or to seek Luo Gongzi at a later time.

General Cao was also summoned by the emperor to report back. Sikuo Xin showed no interest in understanding matters of state affairs and voluntarily requested to withdraw.

The emperor then led Luo Yan into his study, where he spent most of his time handling memorials when not attending court.

Upon entering, Luo Yan scanned the room. There were numerous books, neatly organized, which was quite impressive.

The study featured four long tables and an additional standalone desk. The four long tables held books, calligraphy, and paintings, while one table had what appeared to be half-written documents.

The standalone desk seemingly held the memorials. Luo Yan hadn’t expected the emperor to bring him straight to his workspace for handling state matters.

Luo Yan asked, “Why did Your Majesty bring me here directly?”

---

Luo Yan knew the emperor would undoubtedly ask, “Earlier, you mentioned wanting to help me. After some thought, I believe it would be best to bring you to the study to personally review the memorials.”

The emperor added, “There’s another reason for this: since you consider me a friend, it’s only right to share the memorials with you.”

Luo Yan responded, “If that’s the case, I’ll take a look at the memorials.”

“Good, let me get them for you,” the emperor said, eager to fetch the documents.

The emperor’s enthusiasm in retrieving the memorials was comparable to a struggling student encountering a top scholar, as he pointed out this and that, sharing different issues that he couldn’t resolve.

After reviewing the memorials, Luo Yan quickly identified several problems. Most of the content detailed various issues in different regions requiring funding, but the actual circumstances needed further verification. Based on the issues described in the memorials, it was clear that someone had inflated the situation in hopes of extracting funds from the emperor!