Chapter 52

As the sun was about to set, Luo Yan took Huanxue to explore the market. The capital's market was much livelier than the small county town. Though the sun had only just begun to dip, many stalls were already setting up.

Huanxue suggested, “Husband, let’s see if we can find some wontons; I want to try what the capital's wontons taste like.”

Luo Yan agreed, “Sure, we’ll buy whatever you want to eat.”

Feeling a bit shy, Huanxue touched her ear and replied, “Mm.”

After walking for a while, Luo Yan noticed a stall selling sugar figurines. The craftsmanship looked exquisite.

Luo Yan asked, “Do you want to try some sugar figurines?”

Huanxue replied earnestly, “Yes, I want to eat some.”

Upon hearing his wife’s desire, Luo Yan promptly led her over to the sugar figurine vendor.

“Shopkeeper, I’d like five sugar figurines, please.”

The shopkeeper asked, “What kind of figurines would you like, young man?”

Hmm, what to choose? Luo Yan turned to Huanxue, “What do you want?”

Huanxue thought for a moment, “I want a little rabbit; it looks so cute!”

Luo Yan relayed her request to the shopkeeper, “Please make me two rabbits, and for the other three, you can choose what to make.”

“Alright!”

The shopkeeper was quite skilled; not only was his craft impressive, but he also worked quickly. Before long, all five sugar figurines were ready.

The two little rabbit figurines were finished first, and at that moment, Huanxue had already taken one and started eating it.

They shared the other three figurines—Xiao Han got the monkey-shaped one, Hong Chun received the pig-shaped one, and Cang Dong got the mouse-shaped one.

Hong Chun, holding the pig-shaped sugar figurine, didn’t find it ugly; rather, it made him nostalgic. The last time he had eaten a sugar figurine had been quite a long time ago.

Taking a bite, he thought, hmm, so sweet. The taste was just as he remembered, unchanged over time.

For Cang Dong, sugar figurines were considered a luxury. Although he could earn money now, he wouldn’t buy one for himself upon seeing them.

As the sun gradually set, lanterns along the streets began to light up, creating a beautiful and cheerful scene with their bright red glow.

Huanxue spotted a small shop by the roadside selling exquisite accessories, immediately captivated by them.

When Luo Yan noticed her wife suddenly stop in her tracks, she was momentarily confused, wondering what Huanxue was thinking of saying.

Then she felt Huanxue take her hand and lead her to the left, stopping in front of the accessory shop, and she finally understood.

Huanxue saw a blue-and-white jade pendant that was stunning; buying it to match with her husband’s outfit would look absolutely beautiful.

She quickly purchased the jade pendant, and Luo Yan was a bit surprised by Huanxue's decisive action this time.

After paying, Huanxue stood face to face with her husband and said, “Don’t move, okay?”

Luo Yan smiled and replied, “I won’t move.” She was curious about what Huanxue had in mind; being at the marketplace, she didn’t think Huanxue was about to kiss her.