Chapter 69

Time passed quickly, and before long, it was already noon.

Upon arriving at the shop, Luo Yan instructed Cang Dong to directly take the liquor to the new shop. She planned to purchase duck eggs later to pickle them.

Luo Yan made lunch, and not long after they finished eating, Xiao Xu arrived with the contractors for the renovations.

Luo Yan called her father to discuss the renovation plans with them, and towards the end, she asked if they had any sand.

At first, the contractor didn’t understand what she meant. After Luo Yan described the sand as being fine and grainy, they finally realized what she was referring to.

Luo Yan was delighted when the contractor confirmed there was sand available. They agreed to bring her a small sack when they came to begin the renovations.

Of course, she would be paying for it.

Meanwhile, the people Wang Hongwen had sent out returned.

“Tell me, what did Luo Yan do today?” Wang Hongwen asked his subordinate.

The subordinate entered the room, glanced at his lady, and then looked at his master, noticing that his master expected his answer to be heard by the lady as well. “Young Master, Luo Yan went to the carpenter’s shop first in the county town today. There, she purchased some chairs and tables. Then she went to the liquor shop and bought two large jars of alcohol before heading back to her own shop.”

...

“Is that all? Nothing more?”

“Of course, Young Master; that’s all. Luo Yan personally went to both the carpenter's shop and the liquor shop, and many people witnessed her movements along the way.”

As expected, Luo Yan hadn’t done anything particularly suspicious. Wang Hongwen couldn’t understand why he had gone through the trouble of sending someone to check on her.

Damn, this is ridiculous! Listening to the subordinate’s report, Wang Hongwen felt himself getting increasingly frustrated.

How much can a rundown shop earn? Wandering around without doing any real work for a whole morning and even coming into his line of sight to test his patience!

But wait? If that kid is at the shop, doesn’t that mean Huanxue must have stayed at home today and didn’t come to the shop at all?

Right now, with Li Yan by his side, he couldn’t ask his subordinate whether Huanxue had indeed not come to the shop as he suspected.

If that were the case, Luo Yan had likely become even more protective of Huanxue.

Looking at Li Yan only made Wang Hongwen angrier—damn woman! She had ruined his plans. He would have to rethink how to rescue Huanxue! How vexing!

With Li Yan around, he was forced to stay at the same inn as her. The inn that was originally very close to Luo Yan's shop, where he could occasionally see Huanxue, was now far away. He couldn’t even see her, and Huanxue was trapped at home!

He needed to find a way to send Li Yan back to her home because having her around was only ruining his plans.

---

The notice for hiring a cook was posted in front of his shop, and although there were many people watching, very few actually came in to apply. Luo Yan couldn’t figure out whether the people were just curious or if they had reservations that kept them from entering to interview.

Intrigued, Luo Yan observed the crowd. The information was already out there, and anyone wanting to apply would likely come for an interview in the next couple of days.