Chapter 83: Private Academy

Once the salted duck eggs were prepared, Luo Yan returned to her room. Teaching and investigative matters needed to be separated. Once the recruited individuals arrived, she would need to select a group for Cang Dong and Hong Chun to lead.

It was essential to establish the rules and regulations in advance; there’s an old saying, “Without rules, nothing can be accomplished.” The terms were meant to hold people accountable, and if someone knowingly violated them, they would not be allowed to remain.

After drinking the herbal soup in the evening, Luo Yan consumed a lot of water. The taste of the soup lingered in her mouth, so she recalled that Huanxue had candies and went to grab one to change the flavor.

After eating the candy, her mouth tasted sweet, and she was just thinking of giving Huanxue a kiss when someone knocked on the door. A voice outside called, “Lord Luo, are you resting?”

“Cang Dong? You’re back so late.”

“Yes.”

“Wait a moment, I’ll open the door,” Luo Yan said, tucking Huanxue into the blankets before walking to the door. She opened it and glanced at Cang Dong, asking, “Why are you back so late, still dressed like this?”

“Lord Luo, we were talking outside; I didn’t want to disturb Sister Huanxue,” he replied.

“Alright, let’s go inside.”

They sat down on a wooden bench, and Luo Yan asked, “Why are you wearing night clothes?”

“It’s convenient for tracking people at night. Today, I followed some people from the Jiang family to the river on the west side where they were transporting goods. I stealthily trailed them. After they finished their transactions, I cleaned up the roads before waiting for them to leave so I could investigate.” Cang Dong then took out what he had seen and continued, “They were transporting salt. Lord Luo, take a look. I suspect the Jiang family is smuggling salt, but I need to investigate further. Do you know if there are any salt mines nearby?”

“I’m not sure about the salt mines. This is something you’ll need to investigate further at risk to yourself. For now, keep your investigation discreet; we’ll go for the big catch in the long run.”

“Understood, Lord Luo.”

“Mm, you’ve worked hard today. When the people I recruited arrive, you can personally select a group to assist you with the investigation. I’ve left some food for you in the kitchen; eat well before you head back to rest.”

“Lord Luo, do you want me to bring people with me?”

“Yes! You have that ability. Also, you can file for reimbursement for your night clothes at the end of the month.”

“Ah, Lord Luo, I’m afraid I won’t do a good job. The clothes aren’t expensive anyway.”

“Don’t overthink it now. When the people arrive, you can try it first; if it doesn’t work out, we can figure out what to do then. Just listen to me about the reimbursement; save some money to send back home.”

“Okay.”

“Mm, I’ll head back to my room now. You should hurry and eat; the food should still be warm.”