Chapter 24

Luo Da, momentarily furious, found himself speaking out, still slumped on the ground. Standing about two or three centimeters shorter than him, a man named Luo Jiang got to his feet and shouted at Luo Yan, “What nonsense are you talking about?!”

Luo Yan raised an eyebrow and gave a mocking smile, thinking to herself that he looked so short that he barely reached her nose.

Tsk, tsk.

“Oooh—you mean it really isn’t true?” Luo Yan continued, “But I’ve heard it so vividly from others that the five of you are inseparable day and night…”

“Who said that? Who did you hear it from?” Luo Jiang questioned Luo Yan, flustered and enraged.

“Who knows? I just heard about it!” Luo Yan replied coyly.

With this, the onlooking villagers began to murmur among themselves: these five men spent every day and night together, so there might be some truth to the rumors after all…

Indeed, the likes of Little Shi, Little Qi, and Luo Da were all without wives, and Luo Jiang’s wife had run away less than a year after their marriage.

It was quite true…

Seeing everyone starting to gossip, the men hurriedly stood up. They had come to stir up trouble, yet here they were being discussed instead?!

Luo Da glared at Luo Yan in anger and said, “I think you’re just making this up! I’ve never heard anything like that!”

Luo Yan relaxed even more and replied to Luo Da lazily, “I don’t have such a weird hobby, and besides, I didn’t even know you before today. It’s only because you came here that I learned who you are.”

Luo Da was convinced that Luo Yan was just spewing nonsense. He turned to Luo Bai, hoping that he would speak up for him.

…?! He only saw Luo Bai slowly distancing himself quite a bit from Luo Da, clearly afraid to be associated with him.

-

Luo Da felt that they could no longer linger there. Just as he was about to leave, he heard Luo Yan’s voice again.

“Don’t show up in front of my house again; it brings bad luck. All of you have been blacklisted by my family. If you want to dream of working, keep dreaming!”

She then turned her gaze toward Luo Bai, her tone growing heavier as she continued, “Old Luo Bai, it applies to you as well! Whether my family hires anyone, or who we hire, isn’t for others to meddle in!

My family has my father managing affairs, and if we really need help, we’ll go to the village chief. Some people really take advantage of their age, refusing to save face!”

With that, Luo Yan ignored the expressions of the others and pulled her wife back into the house.

The village chief also echoed her sentiments, adding, “Old Bai, you should refrain from meddling in others’ affairs in the future; you’re not getting any younger.”

The village chief, sensing Luo Yan’s frustration, didn’t spare a glance at Luo Bai, but instead directed his attention to the several men. “You all are getting older, and you have farmland at home. You should start thinking wisely and live your lives well!

Rumors like this happening today should make you reflect on whether you’ve given people reason to think that way about you in the past! In this village, everyone has looked out for you and treated you well. You can try to see how well you do outside the village!”

After saying this, the village chief didn’t add anything further. He had said everything he could think of, and whether they would change was up to them; others couldn’t do anything about it.