Chapter 42

After waiting for about a minute, the bite mark on Luo Yan's arm had dulled in pain, and he continued to lift his wife up.

He carried her directly to the cart, realizing that there was no way she would eat breakfast now.

“Xiao Han, please go to the inn and buy some food for the road. Once you’re done, we’ll set off immediately,” he instructed.

“Okay,” Xiao Han replied.

Just as they were about to leave the city, Liyue rushed over to them, bringing along some local specialties and snacks for Luo Yan and the others.

Luo Yan didn’t refuse; while he didn’t know what Liyue had given him, it was always best to accept graciously.

“I won’t be polite; I’ll take it,” Luo Yan stated.

“Don’t mention it; no need to be polite!” Liyue replied.

Xiao Han observed the lively interaction between Liyue and Luo Yan. Hm, Liyue seemed quite cheerful in their conversation.

Liyue remained silent…

“Alright then, it’s time to say goodbye,” Luo Yan said.

“Take care on your journey and be safe!” Liyue called after them.

“Thank you; we will,” Luo Yan responded.

“Goodbye,” Xiao Han echoed in her heart, sending her farewell to Liyue.

With that, Luo Yan and the others bid Liyue farewell and continued on their way toward the capital.

Xiao Han thought to herself: Well, there’s really not much else now. It’s just a bit dull without Liyue’s cheerful voice around.

---

Upon arriving outside the palace gates, Luo Yan studied the towering walls of the palace closely.

The wind was a bit strong, and it felt somewhat chilly. Other than that, he didn’t feel much of anything else.

After General Cao presented his token, the soldiers on duty allowed them to pass.

As they approached the emperor, Luo Yan felt an undeniable need for a horse; even a donkey cart would do at this moment.

Upon seeing the emperor, General Cao immediately knelt before him without hesitation.

Luo Yan thought to himself: What if I don’t want to kneel? Should I give it a try?

With that thought, he proceeded to do just that. General Cao, kneeling beside him, was frantic, sending Luo Yan urgent signals: Hurry up and kneel! What are you doing? That is the emperor! Kneel down and pay your respects!

Luo Yan glanced at General Cao, then looked at the emperor seated directly in front of him. There was also another individual beside the emperor.

Who was that? Their clothing was entirely different from that of the eunuchs surrounding the emperor, adorned with unique runes.

Hmm? Why do those designs remind me a bit of a constellation map?

So this is...? Is the minister in charge of observing celestial phenomena related to the stars?

The emperor said, “General Cao, please get up quickly. Thank you for your hard work.”

General Cao replied, “It’s nothing really; not at all.”

Luo Yan thought: It’s definitely not tough work; not only has it been easy, but we’ve also had plenty to eat and drink!

The emperor gestured for Sikuo Xin to approach him.