Chapter 49

Today, Luo Yan made braised pork, ensuring that there wasn’t too much fatty meat. After being simmered in hot oil, a lot of the fat rendered out beautifully. She picked up a piece of the braised pork and tasted it—delicious and not greasy at all.

Looking over at Huanxue and the Empress, who had taken their seats, the emperor called for everyone to take up their chopsticks and eat. Luo Yan placed a piece of the braised pork in Huanxue’s bowl and said sweetly, “Give it a try; I made some improvements to the recipe.”

Huanxue replied, “Okay.”

Noticing Luo Yan serving her wife, the Empress glanced at the plate of braised pork. The emperor recognized that the Empress wanted some as well, so he reached over, picked up a piece, and placed it in her bowl, meeting her gaze as he did so. “Try it and see if you like it.”

The Empress smiled and said, “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

After tasting the braised pork, she found it incredibly delicious. She hadn’t expected that Luo Yan could make this dish even better—what a treat!

The Empress remarked, “Today’s meal was also prepared by Luo Gongzi, right?” She looked over at Luo Yan.

Luo Yan, noticing the Empress was addressing her, responded, “Indeed. If the Empress enjoys it, I can have the palace kitchen prepare it for you next time. I’ve already taught the palace cooks how to make it.”

“However, this dish can make you gain weight if eaten frequently, Your Majesty. It’s called ‘braised pork.’ If the Empress wants to enjoy it, having it occasionally won’t lead to weight gain, and it’s also quite beneficial for health.”

Luo Yan’s detailed explanation about the braised pork surprised the Empress.

With a grateful smile, the Empress replied, “I’ll remember what Luo Gongzi has said.”

Luo Yan returned the smile and continued eating, unaware that the emperor was watching her, secretly thinking he had to master this dish as well.

As Huanxue finished most of her meal, she felt like having some soup, but it was a bit far for her to reach and serve herself.

As Luo Yan was happily eating, she suddenly felt someone tugging at her clothing. Huh, it was her wife. Putting down her chopsticks, Luo Yan looked at her and asked, “What’s wrong?”

Huanxue replied, “I want to drink some pork rib soup, but I can’t reach it…”

Luo Yan chewed a couple of times before responding, “Alright.” She picked up an empty bowl to serve her some soup.

As she placed the pork rib soup in front of Huanxue, Luo Yan noticed that her wife had pushed the unfinished rice toward her. Luo Yan smiled happily at Huanxue but felt like she couldn't eat anymore.

Seeing her wife grin silly at her, Huanxue felt embarrassed and lowered her head to drink the soup that Luo Yan had served her. She understood that her wife cherished her, and this sweetness was something that wouldn’t fade away… right?

The emperor, observing Luo Yan's interactions, couldn’t help but marvel. It seemed he should learn a thing or two; such skills would come in handy when he was alone with the Empress!

After the meal, Huanxue returned to rest. The Empress also noticed Huanxue was tired and decided to go back and rest as well, leaving together with Huanxue.

The emperor, watching the Empress chat with Huanxue, turned to Luo Yan and said, “Luo Gongzi, it seems you and the Empress get along quite well. Once you are settled, you should move to the capital. You could live directly in the palace; I’ll arrange it for you then.”