Chapter 61

Luo Mother, seeing that the meal was ready, went to Luo Yan's room to call for Huanxue and Xiao Han to come eat. Upon reaching the door, she saw Xiao Han standing there and, after asking, learned that Huanxue was resting.

Luo Mother instructed Xiao Han to wake Huanxue up for dinner, choosing not to enter the room herself. She turned back to the kitchen to help serve the food.

Xiao Han replied, “Okay, Madam,” and once her mistress had left, she entered the room to wake Huanxue.

Huanxue heard Xiao Han calling her and sat up, momentarily dazed before coming to her senses. Her husband was no longer in the room, and her stomach let out a growl. She rubbed her belly, realizing she was hungry.

Tentatively, Huanxue asked Xiao Han, “Is dinner ready?” Just a moment ago when Xiao Han spoke, she had been too groggy to understand everything clearly, although she had distinctly heard her name.

Xiao Han confirmed, “Yes, Miss. Please hurry and get up. Madam just came to call us for dinner; she asked me to wake you and then went back.”

Mother? So, her husband hadn’t come?

Huanxue replied, “I understand.”

Knowing that it was her mother who had come to summon her for dinner, Huanxue got out of bed much quicker than usual.

By the time Huanxue and Xiao Han reached the living room, they saw her husband and mother carrying dishes to the table. Her husband had been busy, and it seemed that her mother had come to call her once dinner was ready.

As Huanxue entered, her mother pulled her down to sit together while her husband continued to busy himself with the bowls and chopsticks.

Seeing Luo Yan working diligently, Xiao Han approached to help, and soon everyone settled down to have lunch together.

During the meal, Luo Yan inquired with her parents about what items needed to be prepared for Huanxue’s family. Her mother explained that according to tradition, they should bring a pair of roosters, specifically ones that do not lay eggs but can crow, as they hold auspicious meaning. She also reminded them that when buying pork, it should be in double portions. Luo Yan nodded, acknowledging that she understood.

Her father added that they could prepare some tobacco and wine as well. After hearing this, Luo Yan had a general idea of what items would be suitable to bring as gifts.

After dinner, Luo Yan instructed someone to start boiling water for their evening use. She also arranged the room for their stay, planning for herself and Huanxue to rest in this room.

Xiao Han and the two men, Cang Dong and Hong Chun, went to the new house to rest. With the two men sharing a room, Luo Yan's room was left empty.

After ensuring that everyone had their accommodations organized, Luo Yan and Huanxue quickly washed up and then settled down to sleep.

Not long after lying down, Luo Yan fell asleep; after a long day, she enjoyed a deep, restful night.

Huanxue lay beside her, watching the person who was sound asleep. Had she been worried about returning home since they were in the capital?

Gently and slowly, Huanxue caressed her husband's smooth chin and neck. Growing increasingly drowsy, she leaned forward to kiss Luo Yan’s chin before closing her eyes to rest.

The next morning, Luo Yan woke up fairly early, even though she could already hear sounds of people busy working outside. She felt quite pleased that during her time away, everyone had developed a routine of working.

Luo Yan didn’t go outside to greet those arriving, as she was unsure who was present. Instead, she walked over to the table, sat down, and began to write a list of items to bring to Huanxue’s family.