Chapter 26

After locking the door, Luo Yan took her wife to the county. The weather was nice, with sunlight shining down, filling them with warmth. The scenery along the way looked much brighter and clearer.

After receiving the pudding, Han Xue sat on the donkey cart waiting for Luo Yan, who was driving in front. Leaning back against her husband, she leisurely enjoyed her pudding.

The sun shone brightly, but there was still a slight chill in the autumn breeze. Covered with the thin blanket that Luo Yan brought, she felt quite comfortable all the way.

When they arrived in front of the shop, they were met with a bustling crowd lining up. In the past few days, many people had come to recognize Luo Yan, and she became familiar with the regular customers as well.

Seeing the shopkeeper Luo arrive, everyone greeted her enthusiastically, and Luo Yan and Han Xue entered the shop under their warm gaze.

Inside the shop, Luo Yan quietly asked her wife, “Are you feeling alright?”

“Mm, just a little.”

“Alright, if you’re tired, come to me.”

“Mm.”

The three people making cakes had gotten much quicker on their second day. Luo Yan intentionally aimed to cultivate a lead among them to teach the others how to make cakes, so she could free up some time for herself.

Before noon, the orders for the cakes were all ready. Luo Yan took the opportunity to go out with Xiao Xu for a bit. They went to buy a set of new account books and wooden benches. The benches would be placed near the register, so her wife could sit and rest when she was tired.

Due to the large number of customers, Luo Yan had a batch of numbered cards customized at the carpenter’s shop. This way, everyone could take a token and drink tea while slowly waiting in line.

Uncertain if the numbered cards had been completed, Luo Yan decided to check on them today before adding some new items.

At the carpenter's shop, the wooden cards were halfway made. Luo Yan took them back on the donkey cart. After circling around the shop, she spotted a beautiful and delicate wooden bench. She approached it and felt the wood; it was of very good quality.

After asking the price, it turned out to be quite inexpensive—120 wen for each chair. Luo Yan bought two wooden chairs; having more wouldn’t be convenient in the shop. She also purchased four or five long benches to place at the entrance for everyone to use.

Luo Yan hadn’t expected the chairs to be so cheap; even when converted to the currency of her own world, they weren’t very expensive and could even be sold at a higher price.

The reason they were so affordable here was that every household had their own small wooden stools and thus didn’t feel the need to buy more. Additionally, families’ furniture purchases were limited, so sales were likely to be infrequent.

As they passed by a tailor's shop, Luo Yan bought two square cushions. She planned to place them on the wooden chairs to make sitting more comfortable. The shop didn’t have many styles of clothing, so after making her purchase, she left.

When they returned, Han Xue and her mother looked at the things Luo Yan had bought without saying much. The long benches were immediately placed in front of the customers for them to use.

After arranging the chairs, Han Xue sat down on one of them. Having been standing for a long time while keeping the accounts, it was the perfect time for a break.

Once everything was set up, Luo Yan took the cushions and secured them one by one on the chairs. Han Xue watched her husband fix the cushion on another chair, not in a hurry, content to watch Luo Yan busy herself.