Chapter 37

The barbecue could be made spicy, sweet, or just served plain, which attracted many people. The seasoning for the barbecue was meticulously crafted by Luo Yan and had an unmatched flavor.

By the end of the day, they had earned over three taels from just the barbecue. Additionally, Luo Yan had nearly fixed the prices for the other food items, bringing the total daily earnings to around 15 taels, and sometimes even up to 20 taels when business was particularly good. The extra earnings were mostly from pre-orders.

Luo’s father was surprised at how profitable Luo Yan’s food had become. He realized that the wages paid to the workers were considerably low in comparison.

With enough people hired, Luo Yan instructed Xiao Xu to purchase some meat to distribute to everyone when there weren’t too many customers.

Xiao Xu, excited to hear that the boss was giving out food, quickly ran off to buy the meat.

Luo Yan turned to her parents and said, “In the future, for any festivals, let’s prepare some meat or other items for the workers. It’ll be a benefit for everyone working here, how does that sound?”

“That's a great idea, Yan'er! When I get home today, I’ll write down the dates for the various festivals ahead of time. When the time comes, we can go buy items and distribute them to everyone,” her mother responded.

Luo’s father agreed, “Yes, that sounds feasible. Those who work for us are all from the village, and they are all diligent. This is a good plan; it shows that our family is different from other shops—we think about the well-being of everyone, not just about having them work for us.”

Luo Yan said, “Then let’s arrange it that way. If we need to hire more people in the future, this will help to highlight our uniqueness.”

Han Xue added, “We could offer meat or fabric as well. But fabrics can be costly; we’ll need to think about how to provide more expensive items when the time comes.”

“Good reminder, wife! Usually, households only buy new clothes and meat during the New Year. So, we can have a lottery during the New Year for everyone to draw their prizes. How does that sound?”

A lottery? Hmm! What a brilliant idea. “That’s excellent!” Han Xue said eagerly.

Luo Yan looked at her parents, saying seriously, “Father, Mother, what kinds of things do we need to purchase for the New Year? Would new clothes count as big-ticket items?”

Luo’s mother said, “New clothes definitely count as big-ticket items. Some families don’t change into new clothes every year. During the New Year, every household needs to buy door couplets, firecrackers, and incense. Besides these, there are many other items we’ll need to purchase, so there will be plenty for us to choose from to give to everyone.”

I see now! Then I’ll leave this to my mother. I won’t wade into these waters, tsk, hahahaha. “Mother, please think this through. There’s still plenty of time before the New Year, so we’re not in a hurry.”

……

Luo Yan was getting better at organizing things for others. Over the past few days, she had changed quite a bit. “Yan’er, this is something your mother and I will figure out together.”

Luo Yan replied, “Okay.”

---

When Xiao Xu bought the pork, he asked the vendor to cut everything into the right portions, then neatly placed it onto the donkey cart.

Seeing Xiao Xu buying so much pork made the vendor very happy, especially with the recent rise in pork prices, which had driven many buyers away. People only bought meat when prices dropped, so they were thrilled to see someone familiar like Xiao Xu purchasing so much.