Chapter 18

After everything from the donkey cart was unloaded, Luo Yan asked Wang Ji to ride the donkey cart back home to fetch his family, knowing it would take some time for the round trip.

Watching Wang Ji leave, Luo Yan walked toward the living room. She could guess the township head's visit was probably something related to her new shop, and she hoped he would be easy to deal with. If he had come hoping to take advantage of their success, she would certainly not be pleased!

In recent days, the items she had sold had quickly sold out. The townspeople certainly enjoyed sharing the good news with their friends and relatives.

It was also possible that word had spread among the villagers, who then relayed the news back to their homes. Before long, the entire village would know about her family’s shop.

The township head had brought along six or seven people, including someone she knew well: Old Man Luo. He wasn’t the oldest in the village, but he handled village affairs competently. Gradually, whenever there was an issue, the villagers would seek Old Man Luo for his judgment.

With Old Man Luo present, Luo Yan felt a bit more reassured. She saw that everyone was engaged in conversation inside, and she decided not to dwell on her worries any longer.

Luo Yan observed as the township head exchanged greetings and then proceeded to greet Old Man Luo and the other guests. The township head noticed Young Master Luo seemed different from before; it appeared that marriage had changed him quite a bit. In the past, this Young Master Luo would spend all day reading at home, not doing much else.

“Is there something you need, Township Head and Old Man Luo?” Luo Yan asked directly.

Surprised by her straightforwardness, the township head had just been chatting politely with Luo’s mother… “Oh, it’s nothing urgent. It’s just that the villagers have been talking about your shop in the county these past few days, so I thought I would take the opportunity to come and see for myself.”

“Shouldn’t the township head visit the shop directly to see for himself? How can he verify anything just by coming to the house?” Luo Yan said pointedly, deliberately probing for the true purpose of their visit.

The township head found himself momentarily at a loss for words.

Taking a sip of tea, he thought to himself how good the tea was! It not only felt refreshing but had a lingering sweetness. However, hearing Young Master Luo’s remark, he realized that perhaps he should have come prepared to discuss matters more straightforwardly.

Old Man Luo, observing the township head trying to appear calm, realized he was growing anxious and didn’t quite know how to articulate his thoughts. “Xiao Yan, before we came today, we visited your shop and tried the drinks you sell—they're quite good. I even had some myself and caught a hint of tea flavor, which was impressive.”

Hearing Old Man Luo speak, Luo Yan turned away from the township head and directed her attention to him. “Did you like it, Old Man Luo?”

“Of course, your drink is tasty, but it’s a bit too sweet for me. At my age, I can’t indulge too much,” he admitted.

“That’s a fair point, Old Man Luo. Sugar is essential in making that drink,” Luo Yan acknowledged.

Luo's mother chimed in, “Indeed! I noticed that Yan'er puts quite a bit of sugar in it to achieve that milk tea flavor. But, you know, sugar is quite expensive.”

The township head nodded in agreement, “Yes, sugar certainly isn’t cheap.” Both sugar and salt cost a fortune, sold by the gram. It wasn’t like rice or flour, which could be bought by the pound—just a pound of sugar could buy dozens of pounds of rice!