Chapter 16✨

Luo Yan quickly grabbed the meat filling and mung bean flour before heading to the stove to make mung bean meat pies. Each pie had to be made individually before being placed in the pan to fry. Luo's mother, an expert with dough, had taken the lead yesterday and now stood beside Luo Yan, watching intently as she demonstrated the process.

As Luo Yan prepared the mung bean meat pies, the sizzling sound of oil drew the attention of passersby, who gathered to watch the shopkeeper at work.

The pies were flipped repeatedly in the pan, and after about three to four minutes, they were cooked to perfection, releasing an enticing aroma that filled the air.

Inside the shop, Huanxue caught the delicious scent of the meat pies and could not help but swallow hard. After being busy since her arrival, she now felt quite hungry from the enticing smell.

After frying five or six pies, Luo Yan finally paused. “Xiao Xu, come over.”

Xiao Xu, surprised to hear his name, replied, “Uh, okay!”

While calling him over, Luo Yan continued working and asked, “How many people are in your family?”

“There are four of us: my wife, my son, my mother, and me,” he responded.

After hearing his answer, Luo Yan took four mung bean meat pies, wrapped them in oil paper, and layered another sheet on top to keep them warm.

The pies were still quite hot and greasy. "Take these back for your family to try," Luo Yan thought, planning to arrange some benefits for her workers whenever new food was prepared in the future.

Xiao Xu couldn’t believe he was receiving the pies. "Thank you... thank you, Shopkeeper Luo."

“No need to be so polite; go get back to work,” she said with a smile.

Xiao Xu's eyes crinkled with happiness as he reflected on his good fortune. "Alright! Thank you, Shopkeeper Luo!"

"Sure," she replied.

"Mother, you should have this pie and take a break. The ones in the pan are done, and I'll take them to Huanxue."

"Okay, go on," urged Luo's mother. Huanxue had been busy managing the accounting and hadn't stopped working at all.

Watching her husband walk toward her with the mung bean meat pie, Huanxue realized she was genuinely hungry now.

Luo Yan smiled at her wife and said, “Here, dear, have a meat pie to replenish your energy.”

Huanxue accepted the mung bean meat pie and asked, puzzled, “Energy? What is that?”

Luo Yan paused for a moment, realizing she had unconsciously used a new term she had never said before. “Energy refers to nutrition. You need to replenish your nutrients so you can keep working,” she explained, tilting her head slightly at Huanxue.

Feeling a bit embarrassed with so many people watching, Huanxue couldn't help but blush. “You really are… so annoying.”

Seeing her wife’s ears turn red, Luo Yan decided not to tease her any further.

After making sure everything was set up for the customers, a young man who appeared to be about the same age as Luo Yan stepped forward and asked, “How much is this pie?”

Looking at the man, Luo Yan smiled lightly, explaining, “During the first three days of our opening, each mung bean meat pie is 8 wen. After that, it will be 10 wen each.”

The young man had been watching her closely as she prepared the pies and noticed how generous she was with the filling. Without hesitation, he exclaimed, “I’ll take five!”