Chapter 35

When General Cao poured himself some wine, Luo Yan politely refused. She couldn’t handle alcohol; if she were to drink and say something foolish, it would be disastrous. She simply couldn't drink!

Luo Yan said, “General Cao, go ahead and drink. I prefer sweet drinks, so I’ll be having milk tea. It’s the same as you having wine!”

General Cao didn’t think much of it and was glad to save the wine for himself. In the past, he had to sneak sips of wine in the palace; otherwise, he would have to wait until he had a break before he could drink again.

After everyone finished lunch in batches, they began to entertain the guests. With such a variety of dishes today, everyone was eagerly lining up.

As General Cao ate, he remarked, “The other day, I didn’t know what to expect, so I just got in line to eat. The flavor was great, and now I understand why everyone is so eager to line up.”

Luo Yan smiled but said nothing. It had become the norm to have people lining up for meals.

---

After lunch, General Cao and his family headed home. Before they left, Luo Yan prepared some snacks for General Cao to take with him.

They had sold dozens of portions during lunch, and Han Xue felt much happier about it. Not only did General Cao’s family eat without needing to pay, but they also took home a lot of food with them.

Now, seeing the money earned from selling food eased her worries considerably.

In the afternoon, the blacksmith delivered the customized barbecue grill to the shop. Luo Yan instructed Xiao Xu and Wang Ji to place the grill next to the shelves within the shop. When it was time to sell barbecue, the rack would be perfect for holding the food.

At the market, Luo Yan had seen square baskets being sold and decided to buy them. She got 36 baskets in total, which would be just right for holding ingredients; the extra ones could be used for customers to pick and choose what they wanted to eat.

With the barbecue preparations coming together, Luo Yan looked over at the tomato sauce she had made. When preparing the sauce, she added honey instead of sugar because she wanted to avoid making it overly sweet. She scooped a small spoonful to taste, finding the flavor quite pleasant.

Feeling someone watching her, Luo Yan looked up.

Hmm, her wife was watching her… eating the tomato sauce.

Why did it feel as if her wife thought she was sneaking a taste?

Luo Yan smiled but said nothing. She grabbed a potato and cut it into long rectangular pieces.

After frying the drained lard, Luo Yan placed the potato strips into the hot oil. In no time, they transformed into a golden color, and the aroma was absolutely delicious.

After filtering the excess oil, Luo Yan took the fries and the tomato sauce to her wife and mother, saying, “Give it a try; this sauce pairs perfectly with the fries!”

Han Xue had tried the fries before, but last time there was no red sauce accompanying them. She picked up a fry, dipped it into the tomato sauce, and took a bite.

Oh, the flavor was a delightful blend of sweet and tangy, and the fries were crispy and fragrant—absolutely delicious!

“It's really good!” she exclaimed.

Luo’s mother, enjoying the taste as well, particularly liked the fries dipped in tomato sauce. “Yan'er, what is this called? It tastes so good with this red sauce!”

Hearing the compliments from her mother and wife made Luo Yan incredibly happy. “These are made from potatoes, and this red sauce is made from red fruit. I call it tomato, and this sauce is made from tomatoes.”