Chapter 103: Countdown to Conclusion: Three

After the New Year, Wang Hongwen returned to Jiangmi County. Since he had not taken any action for a while, Luo Yan pretended to be unaware and resumed her normal routine of teaching at the private academy.

Huanxue had improved her martial skills and was capable of handling one or two opponents on her own without much trouble.

The smuggling of salt had to pass through Jiangmi County, but they didn’t travel through the county itself; they used water routes instead.

After being in Jiangmi County for 15 days, Wang Hongwen grew impatient and sent people to follow Huanxue and her. They directly informed her that this time, Wang Hongwen would not hold back.

The weather was overcast and gloomy as Luo Yan hurried home from the academy when she was once again confronted by assailants on the way.

The opponents came at her brandishing swords, and Luo Yan hurriedly stepped back, signaling her subordinates to retreat.

Although her two subordinates were skilled, they still sustained injuries. The attackers numbered more than ten, each strike lethal.

In the life-and-death struggle, three of the attackers were killed, while four or five suffered injuries.

Seeing the remaining assailants retreat, she instructed her subordinates not to pursue them. As she searched one of the fallen attackers, she discovered a token.

After securing the token, she left one subordinate to guard the area and returned home with the other.

She dispatched someone to inform the county magistrate to clean up the bodies and requested a physician to check on her injured subordinates.

She was determined to make Wang Hongwen pay for his actions; he had done everything he shouldn’t have.

In the days that followed, he did not make any more moves. Those following him also reported no signs of plans in motion.

She had gathered some evidence regarding the salt smuggling, but it was still unclear when the next transaction would take place.

For an entire month, he refrained from smuggling salt, shifting his focus to other matters.

What exactly was he up to?

She was still investigating and needed more time to uncover what he was doing.

After the assassination attempt, Wang Hongwen returned home and stayed there for a while.

Based on the information Luo Yan had gathered, Wang Hongwen's father, Wang Jie, was responsible for liaising with the Luo family, and Luo Lie of the Luo family had amassed a considerable amount of influence.

The silver sent from the Wang family to Luo Lie was likely from the profits from their shops over the years. It seemed that initially, Luo Lie had provided financial support to the Wang family.

Before this trip, Wang Hongwen had brought along a group of unfamiliar individuals who attempted to assassinate her and Huanxue a couple of times. Following the last assassination attempt, Luo Yan arranged for Luo Han, Huanxue, and Li Yue to go to the Shengya Business Association together and return afterward. The assassination attempt had ultimately failed.

Luo Yan felt something was amiss. If it was truly Wang Hongwen, he would have killed her directly instead of trying to assassinate Huanxue.

The assassins hired were quite skilled. That night, just before midnight, Luo Yan heard movements outside the house, and Huanxue woke up to look at her.

Luo Yan placed a finger to her lips and gently “shushed” her, signaling Huanxue not to make a sound.

She quietly got out of bed and tiptoed to the door. After about a minute, she saw a thin bamboo tube slide through the paper window into the room.