Chapter 36

Early the next morning, Luo Yan woke up, got washed up, and stepped outside. As she reached the entrance, she spotted Xiao Han.

Upon seeing her, Luo Yan quickly checked if Xiao Han was carrying a sword or any weapons... Good! There was nothing at her waist!

Xiao Han looked at Luo Yan with a puzzled expression but didn’t say anything. When she arrived, there had already been people in the courtyard, but since she didn’t know them, she hadn’t offered a greeting.

Once Luo’s mother emerged, Xiao Han approached her. Luo’s mother was a very kind woman. On the day of her marriage to the young lady, Luo’s mother had warmly welcomed her to the Luo family.

This time, upon seeing Xiao Han, Luo’s mother was equally hospitable, taking her belongings and offering her warm hospitality. Unlike others, Luo’s mother did not need to acknowledge someone like Xiao Han, who was of a lower status, but she treated her differently.

As Luo Gongzi came out, Xiao Han was observing the changes in the courtyard over the past few days.

The courtyard had changed considerably, now filled with cattle, horses, and donkeys, and there were chickens and ducks in cages. It matched well with what the young lady had described in her letters. The young lady had mentioned that Luo Gongzi was selling food in the county town, and when she passed by, she had indeed seen a store called “Jue Wei Pu.”

Seeing Luo Gongzi made her mood much brighter; it wasn’t that she was upset about the Luo family’s financial situation.

Before the young lady married Luo Gongzi, her sister, Li Yan, had caused quite a bit of trouble. Xiao Han had wanted to take action against her, but since the young lady had forbidden her from doing so, she refrained. However, she sometimes caused a bit of chaos for Li Yan to keep her busy.

In short, she simply didn’t like Li Yan; that person was far too malicious!

Feeling a bit awkward with Xiao Han remaining silent, Luo Yan noticed that her mother was busy making breakfast and that Wang Ji had already prepared the milk.

Luo Yan went to the kitchen first to get the milk tea ready while Wang Ji and Xiao An continued to busy themselves with loading the snacks onto the donkey cart.

Xiao Han watched and decided not to intervene, thinking it best not to cause any confusion. She figured she would wait for the young lady to come out before saying anything.

Once Luo Yan had finished making the milk tea and Luo’s mother was nearly done preparing breakfast, she noticed that her wife still hadn’t risen. “Mother, I’ll go and wake up Xue.”

“Alright,” Luo’s mother replied.

---

When Luo Yan entered the room, she saw her wife was already freshening up. “Xiao Han is here,” she announced as her wife looked over.

“Okay,” Han Xue replied, quickening her pace. “I’ll be ready in just a moment.”

Luo Yan reassured her, “No rush; mother is almost done cooking, too.”

“Alright.”

Suddenly remembering the need to see the emperor, she added, “Xue’er, please take a moment to talk to Xiao Han about going to meet the emperor.”

Oh, right! That was something she needed to discuss with Xiao Han. “Got it.”

“Should I head out first?” she asked, noticing that her wife was still in the middle of washing up.

“Just a little longer. I’m almost done.”

Watching her wife, Luo Yan sat on a stool, waiting for her to finish.