Chapter 13✨

For dinner, Luo Yan prepared her wife's favorite rib soup. As they savored the meal, Huanxue genuinely seemed to enjoy every bite.

Luo's father inquired, "How did the milk tea sell today? Was the day smooth?"

With a smile, Luo Yan responded, "It went much better than I expected! We sold out of milk tea before noon!"

"That's great to hear," Luo's father acknowledged.

Luo's mother added, "I didn't expect the milk tea to be so popular! Those young girls were eagerly sipping from their bamboo tubes and still wanted more!" She chuckled, reminiscing about the sight of the girls hurriedly drinking from their cups, eager for another helping.

"Yes, Mother. Tomorrow morning, I'll have to wake up early to milk the cow. If all goes well, we should make even more money than today," Luo Yan said cheerfully.

Huanxue listened intently, sipping her rib soup while watching her husband engage with the family. This cozy scene was something she had longed for during her time in the Li family.

In her own household, her mother rarely spoke, remaining confined to her room and seldom venturing outside. Huanxue couldn't help but wonder how her mother was doing now. She made a silent promise to herself that someday, she would ensure her mother and grandmother got to taste this delicious rib soup; they would surely relish it.

Reflecting on her fifteenth birthday, Huanxue recalled how her sister Li Yanzhen's mother, Cheng Shi, was perpetually anxious about when the Luo family would arrive with the betrothal gifts. Cheng Shi had the favor of Huanxue's father, which often prevented the legitimate wife, Meng Shi, from confronting her directly.

Li Yanzhen was two years older than Huanxue. If she didn't marry within a year, the tax burden would double-two calculations meant 240 wen, and doubling that summed to 480 wen. Life was incredibly challenging for women in ancient times; lacking a skill made it nearly impossible for them to survive on their own.

Cheng Shi aimed to find a wealthy family for Li Yanzhen, while Li Yanzhen had her sights set on marrying into the Wang family. Coincidentally, the Wang family was affluent, and the two women discreetly devised ways to make the match happen, ultimately succeeding as they had hoped.

Fortunately, their grandmother was present. Though she didn't involve herself in the household affairs, her counsel was sought by Luo's father during significant events. Over the years, their grandmother had treated Huanxue kindly, even preparing a dowry for her when she married.

Huanxue felt a deep sense of gratitude in her heart and vowed to show her grandmother the utmost respect and filial piety.

Luo's mother said, "I'll get up early tomorrow to lend you a hand, my dear."

"Okay!" Luo Yan replied, her face lighting up with delight.

After dinner, Luo's mother took charge of the cleanup while Luo Yan prepared the ingredients for milk tea and boiled a pot of water for washing up later.

Noticing the pot boiling, Luo's mother asked, "Yan'er, when did you learn to do all of this?"

Luo Yan paused, uncertain how to respond. She fetched a small stool and placed it beside her, inviting her mother to sit down. "Mother, I told you, you might not believe me."

"What could be so hard to believe?" Luo's mother asked, her curiosity piqued as she looked at her daughter.

"Mother, ever since I fainted that day, all this knowledge just suddenly appeared in my mind," Luo Yan said earnestly, locking eyes with her mother. (Though it was a stretch of the truth.)