Chapter 90: Surprise

A couple of days ago, Luo Yan’s father had procured a batch of new fruits. Describing them as bright red, Luo Yan went to take a look and found they were strawberries.

Luo Yan smiled happily, instantly reminded of Huanxue’s birthday. She could make a strawberry cake for her!

Not long after Huanxue sent a letter home, her grandmother and mother arrived.

Last night, Luo Yan visited her mother, asking her to take Huanxue, her grandmother, and her mother out shopping today. Taking advantage of their absence, she busied herself with cooking.

First, she prepared the soup to keep warm on the stove, and then she cooked the meat dishes, leaving the simpler vegetable dishes for last. After about two hours, Luo Yan called a servant to bring the food to the dining table. For each dish, she made an extra portion to share with the servants, so they could all celebrate Huanxue’s birthday together.

The preparations for the cake were all set. Now, Luo Yan simply needed to shape the cake. She planned to write Huanxue’s name on top of the cake, wishing her a happy birthday!

With everything ready and the time drawing near, Luo Yan felt a thrill of excitement.

Though the Shengya Business Association had only been open for a little over a month, it unexpectedly allowed Luo Yan to acquire diamonds. She almost missed the chance with a man who was selling them, as the people here didn’t understand the value of diamonds.

Perhaps he was in urgent need of money, as the man had said he would sell a piece for just 100 wen. He had come to the association with a painting of considerable importance for sale, and Luo Yan needed to keep an eye on it. As she prepared to leave the association, she noticed the man and initially didn’t know what he was selling. After inquiring from a servant, she was informed it wasn’t worth much.

After some thought, Luo Yan asked the man to show her what he had. Watching him open a small cloth bag, she was astonished to see diamonds inside. She had never seen diamonds before, but to these people, diamonds didn’t seem to hold much value.

Curious about where the man had acquired them, Luo Yan asked, “What is this? Is this all there is?”

The man replied, “There’s more than just this. I don’t know what use it serves.”

“Could you accept one tael of silver for these?” There were several stones in the cloth bag, and one tael of silver was practically giving money away in this place. However, Luo Yan knew the value of diamonds and planned to buy them to make a diamond ring for Huanxue.

“Will you need more later?”

“As for this, I’m not sure. I’ve never seen this before; just like you, I still don’t know what it’s good for.” This small bag was enough, but if they bought a lot, it could open a jewelry shop.

“Alright, thank you, young sir.”

“Do you urgently need the money?”

Seeing the man hesitate to answer, Luo Yan finally spoke up, “If you urgently need money, bring whatever you can, and I’ll buy it.”

Upon hearing this, the man’s expression brightened, and he smiled, saying, “Thank you, young master. How can I find you?”