Chapter 66

Huanxue and Ling Shan had just exited the inn when she spotted her husband running toward her. His disheveled hair was blowing wildly, and his expression was a mix of surprise and urgency.

As he reached her, Huanxue noticed that he was sweating profusely. She took out her handkerchief to wipe the sweat from his forehead and asked, “Why are you sweating so much?”

It was all so he could find you quickly. Seeing his wife wiping his sweat made his heart finally feel at ease. He didn’t respond to her question, but he figured she could guess the reason behind it.

It was a relief that his wife was unharmed; he had truly been worried sick.

“All done,” she said after wiping his forehead.

“Are you alright? Who took you away?” Luo Yan asked softly, concern etched on his face.

“It was my sister, Li Yan.”

“Why is she here?”

“She probably came to find her husband. Can we go back now?” Huanxue suggested.

“Alright,” Luo Yan replied, taking Huanxue’s hand as they, along with Ling Shan, headed back to the Juewei shop.

Li Yan was looking for her husband? Wasn’t Li Yan’s husband Wang Hongwen? When had he come to Jiangmi County?

Luo Yan thought back to the past couple of days; she had felt as though someone had been following her, but she did not know if they were Li Yan’s people or Wang Hongwen’s. Since both of them had come to Jiangmi County, it didn’t matter much whose people they were.

If what Huanxue had said was true, Li Yan taking Huanxue away was a ploy to draw Wang Hongwen out, which meant that Wang Hongwen had arrived in Jiangmi County long ago, and she had been completely oblivious. The realization sent a chill down Luo Yan's spine; Wang Hongwen was indeed formidable, and his schemes were insidiously clever.

Looking at Ling Shan, Luo Yan wasn’t sure how to start a conversation with him. She still hadn’t responded to him about learning martial arts, and now he had saved Huanxue again. It seemed she really needed to learn martial arts, but how could she approach Ling Shan about it?

“Thank you again, Ling Shan, for rescuing Huanxue today,” she finally said.

“No need for thanks,” Ling Shan replied, turning to look at Luo Yan.

“About learning martial arts…”

Ling Shan smiled and said, “No rush; we can discuss it when we get back.” So, now she wanted to learn martial arts, huh?

Hmm? What’s going on today? Why is he in no hurry?

After returning to the shop, Luo Yan and Huanxue entered a small partition, while her father and mother entertained Ling Shan in the main store.

Once inside the partition, Luo Yan directly pulled Huanxue onto her lap, holding her tightly. “Don’t move; let me hold you for a while.”

Seeing that she had been missing made her husband worry about her. Huanxue wrapped her arms around Luo Yan and recounted how Li Yan had taken her away.

After Huanxue finished, Luo Yan felt that Li Yan and Wang Hongwen’s relationship wasn’t as strong as it seemed. Their marriage wasn’t based on any genuine feelings; one was eager while the other was indifferent, both just looking to satisfy their own needs.

Wang Hongwen’s arrival in Jiangmi County was certainly part of some scheme; otherwise, he wouldn’t have come here without reason.

“Xiao Yan, do you know if there are any assets belonging to the Wang family in Jiangmi County?”