Scared (Hisashi Kinoshita)

Uta wo wasureta kanaria wa ushiro no yama ni sutemashouka

Ie ie sorewa narimasenn

Uta wo wasureta kanaria wa seto no koyabu ni umemashouka?

Ie ie sorewa narimasenn

Uta wo wasureta kanaria wa yanagi no muchi de buchimashouka?

Ie ie sorewa kawaisou

Uta wo wasureta kanaria wa zouge no fune ni gin no kai, tsukiyo no umi ni ukabeleba wasureta uta wo omoidasu

"Your voice is very pretty," a sudden voice said, informing me that I wasn't alone.

Being a naturally jumpy person, I was startled and spun around to see who had heard me singing quietly to myself. I had thought that I was alone in the empty classroom, but apparently that wasn't so.

Sitting there on one of the old and dusty desks was a boy about my age. He seemed like a normal guy to me, one who you didn't usually notice until you are suddenly directly interacting with him. But something about him seemed off, though I couldn't pinpoint it. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," the boy said, giving me a light smile.

I said nothing; I was never a social person anyway. Instead, I looked him over again, searching for what it was that wasn't right. Hmm... isn't his skin a bit pale? It seemed to be.

"I'm Kinoshita," the boy said, holding out a hand to me. Not wanting to be impolite, I slowly stepped towards him and shook his hand, saying nothing more than my name. "I guess you're kind of shy, huh?" I only nodded. I didn't really like talking to people all that much.

That was when I noticed something else: his hand was very cold. Sure, when I got nervous or scared, my hands will feel really cold, but that couldn't be the case here.

I must have been making a face without realizing it because he laughed at me. "Sorry if my hand's a little cold. Sometimes I forget that I'm dead."

Now, a normal person would either freak out or think the person saying they were dead was crazy. Me? I just stood there, calmly looking at him. "You're a ghost?" I quietly asked him. The gears were all starting to click into place now.

Seeing a ghost shouldn't be that surprising though; this classroom was rumored to be haunted after all. In fact, it wasn't ever used because of that. Sometimes though, a couple will sneak in here to have a little "fun" time... if they're not afraid to go in a supposedly haunted classroom. Me? I like to come here sometimes when I want to be alone. I come here because no one else does, though I never expected to actually meet anyone here.

Kinoshita nodded, smiling at me. He was probably pretty lonely and that made me feel sad. Maybe it would be worth the trouble if I made friends with him. "You're not scared of me?" I just shook my head. Why should I be afraid? If he hasn't done anything by now, he probably wouldn't.

Soon enough, we got to talking. Well, he talked while I listened. And after several meetings, I began to open up and we grew closer. Every day we'd meet there in that room and his friendship became my most valued one. And whenever someone dared to pick on me for talking to ghosts, I didn't worry because my ghostly best friend was there for me... and to get back at the bullies who tried to hurt me.

Sometimes I'd wish that he was alive, but if you've got a good friend, then what does it matter if they're alive or dead? So long as their friendship is true, there's nothing to fear.