Country Boy & City Girl: Ch. 6

A/N I love cliffhangers now! BE PREPARED!!!

"Who's Bullseye?" Aphmau asked Vlyad and Zane as they arrived at the horse stalls.

"Garroth's first horse." Zane said simply as he tied up his horse.

"Where is he?" Asked Aphmau.

"Dead." Vlyad stated.

"Was he old or—?"

"Snake bite."

Aphmau felt her heart drop. "Oh. I'm sorry—"

"It's alright. You didn't know." Explained Vlyad.

Even so, Aphmau started to think. "How close was Garroth to Bullseye?"

"They were the closest things I've ever seen." Zane sighed. "Bullseye was fast, and he's run like the wind at Garroth's command only. They were the best of friends, and they always went everywhere."

"And... He died." Aphmau finished.

"Garroth wanted to explore a new part of the river. He heard the rattle, but wasn't able to command Bullseye fast enough." Sighed Vlyad. "Bullseye hit the floor, and Garroth was devastated. He killed the snake with a rock, but... He felt it wasn't enough."

"A boy's best friend is a dog, but Garroth's best friend was his horse. And now he lost him. Garroth made us all wear the whistles after that. It's helped, I'll give him that." Zane said.

By now, the three were outside in the middle of the wheat field. 

"I should talk to him." Aphmau decided.

"Garroth won't be home until later. He's not here, so he's probably somewhere clearing his mind." Vlyad said. "Come on, let's go have dinner instead."

When they arrived at the house, Zianna asked where Garroth was. Vlyad simply said,

"Bullseye came up."

And Zianna went silent. They ate dinner silently, and they went to sleep silently. Aphmau sat on the window seat, staring out at the field.

Great job, Aph. Not even a week here and you've already ruined your chances.

She sighed, hitting her head against the wood behind her.

"Why do I do things like this...?" She wondered aloud, wishing she could turn back time.

Suddenly, a flash past by her below. Aphmau looked down and saw Garroth riding Jack towards the barn. A few minutes passed and Garroth was out, walking towards the house. Aphmau stood up and sneaked down the stairs. She went outside and saw Garroth reaching for the door. He stood dumbfounded in front of her.

"... Hi." Aphmau said.

Garroth gave her a nod and walked inside.

"Are you ok?" She asked, following him.

He nodded and walked up the stairs.

"... You know you can tell me anything, right?" She asked.

Garroth turned to her and looked her right in the eye. "Yes."

Then he went into his room and closed the door behind him, leaving Aphmau outside and wondering.

(^-^)

A few weeks had passed since then. Garroth was back to his normal self, and Aphmau was preparing for her third farmer's market.

"Remember not to drop eggs again Aph!" Vlyad cried, hauling a box of milk towards his own stall.