181. muke

luke didn't know why his eyes blinked open before his alarm, up until he felt gentle flutters kissing his collarbones.
he hummed and rubbed the sleep out of his eye, peering down before inhaling a small breath chuckling and rolling his eyes fondly.
every freaking morning.
'kitten.' he mumbled and placed a hand on michael's ears, watching as they settled down their twitching against luke's skin. his fingernails scratched at the base of one, the tips drooping in relaxation as a low purr started to rumble through both of their bodies and luke chuckled, watching as smoky green eyes opened to look at him.

luke was always skeptical about cats.
big eyes of light color stared into his goddamn soul and scrutinized every piece of it, black slits for pupils that barely moved with arching backs of rickety spines and long tails brushing against anything and sharp small white teeth poking and prodding and nine fucking lives?
it scared the shit out of him.
he was always a bit superstitious too, even as a five year old, squeezing his eyes closed and running away screaming when a black cat walked past and mewed innocently, blinking up at luke's family, who now rolled their eyes and shook their head at their youngest boy.
and when he was a bit older one had followed him home, his 9 year old self smiling at the quiet meowing before he cooed and reached down to pet it--
when he heard a hiss, resulting him coming home with bleeding vertical lines down his cheek and his salty tears burning it when it seeped in and mixed with the blood.
he didn't know — big eyes and pointy teeth?
not completely his thing.
despite his mishaps with cats in the past, he seemed to like them well enough — as long as they were nice — and he would consider searching for and buying one one day.
well, he didn't know the cat would come to him.
well, cat, as in like-- half..cat.
just-- michael.

big green eyes didn't seem so scary with black human pupils, spots of yellow and blue floating around irises — and arching backs were actually really freaking cute, stretching and mewing after a nap with flicking ears — and long tails only gently swayed and curled around luke's body or tickled his skin and if a tail flicking came with that adorable giggle then luke didn't care one little bit.
he doesn't remember every single detail, just remembering quiet knocks on his door at 3 am and how he answered when his eyes were still smokey with sleep, but how the person at the door latched onto him shaking and he gasped, his eyes clearing.
he saw kitten ears flat on a head of hair and he frowned, petting them gently as the body shook.
luke had read about wild hybrids, how sometimes they would show up at people's doorsteps and all you had to do was be gentle and bring them back to the closest forest — and he was surprised to remember that when he was practically half awake.
hey love, are you okay?
luke looked down and pulled him closer inside, frowning at his wet body and scared green eyes and he looked out the door only to jump at a strike of lighting, immediately followed by whining and the kitten getting even closer to his body. he saw his head shake no as he looked at the storm and luke nodded, petting over his ears and feeling them twitch.
but we have to get you back home, baby--
he remembers seeing a small finger point at the doorway when another strike of lightning hit and the boy jumped and whimpered.
b-but..s-s..s-storm.
he turned to luke with big eyes that started to tear and he mewed, falling into his hold and clutching onto him and burying his face in his chest, causing luke to sigh and run a hand through his hair.
you can stay for tonight, okay?
and he remembers ears perking up and out of his shirt and the boy's head turning up slowly to look at him with soft green eyes and he leant way up to kiss his cheek, before nuzzling back into him.
t-t..tha-thanks you.
and that was the start of it.
the lightning and thunder had lasted for two more days, luke permanently having a body around his waist, and if not, watching the kitten boy pad around in too big sweatpants and a sweater, being cautious about everything and holding his tail nervously as if he was in trouble.
why are you scared?
n-n..nev-er been in h-human's hou-se.
he had learned his name was michael and how he had no family left, him alone in the forest and living by himself in his little village — even though he was the smallest and was most likely to get hurt.
well it's your house too as of right now.
luke didn't know it'd be forever, not that he minded.

the same beautiful green eyes from the ones he first met, only sleepy and more crystal-like.
'lukey.' he mumbled, cuddling further into him and luke chuckled softly.
luke had never seen anything so adorable.
'you always end up on top of me in the mornings, kitten.'
''s so warm.' he hummed, kissing the base of luke's throat before he scooted up and tucked his head into his neck, his actions erupting goosebumps on luke's skin.
'c'mon baby.' he chuckled 'gotta get dressed.'
'why?' he whined, ears twitching again.
'we have to meet calum and ash remember?'
michael let out a purr when his hand found his ears again, humming and mewing and his chest practically vibrating.
'mmm.'
'c'mon.' he lifted michael off of him and ignored his mews when he tried to leave bed, coaxing him by petting the base of his tail before he grinned and walked to the closet.
'lukey..' he heard whines and grinned as he looked at his clothes, picking up a big sweater and black jeans for michael, turning around to throw them on the bed before picking out his own clothes.
he was finished changing when he heard his name in a squeal and turned around, bursting into laughs.
because there on the bed was his little baby kitten, flicking ears coming out of the hole of the sweater, his face stuck inside and it was just about the cutest thing luke had ever seen.
he walked over and sat on the bed, kissing him through the sweater before pulling it down so his head came out.
michael giggled and kissed his lips, his hands making sweater paws as he grabbed for luke's shirt to tug him closer.

luke liked cats.
...
a lot.