6. Science

Hair flys in front of my face. My screams filling the air as I come closer to the ground. I hit it harshly. Everything is fuzzy after that. I hear attacks, chatter, anger, and then an explosion that pierces my ears. I am thrown again and I feel nothing but pain in my body. The sound of the explosion practically making my ears bleed. I moan as I stand and look to see Thor, Iron man, and Captain America huff tiredly. I guess they had a little argument. I sway towards them, stumbling clumsily till I reach them pulling a gun from my holster.

"Are we done here?" Steve questions, and the other two nod frantically. With that I return my gun in it's holster weakly and collapse.

-

I awake, I irritatedly push away the help when I realize where I am. I rip the cords and iv from me and stomp out of the bright room I woke from. I needed the wall at some points and fell once or twice. But I made it to where the group was. I ignore them though, feeling their eyes on me.

"Ma'am-" I put my hand up to stop Steve from speaking. Loki is now free from his cuffs and is contained in a large glass cell held by hydraulic rigs. We watch from the bridges security screens. Steve and the rest of the team in silence next to me. Fury walks up the control panel of the cell.

"In case it's unclear. You try to escape. You so much as scratch that glass." Fury presses a button which opens a hatch underneath Loki's cell. Loki peers as much as he can from the glass. Without seeing, the sounds of gusting wind fill the room. "Thirty thousand feet, straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works?!" Fury closes the hatch. He then points at Loki. "Ant." And finally points at the button which would drop Loki into the steel trap. "Boot."

"It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me." Loki smirks. I look at Bruce sorrowfully but he only glances without a sign of reaction.

"Built for something a lot stronger than you." Nick remarks. This is where I remind myself that I hate Nick Fury.

"Oh I've heard." Loki looks into the camera, practically staring into Bruce's soul. "The mindless beast, makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you, that you call upon such lost creatures to defend you? Especially ones that only are for mere sacrifice. The girl who hasn't done anything but fall from your conveyance."

"Pushed." I looked down angrily wincing as I adjust myself from my seat. My wounds are still fresh.

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did." Nick sneers.

"Ooh. It burns you to come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is." Loki still has that smirk pasted on his pale features.

"Well, you let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something." Fury walks off leaving Loki in his glass cell. Loki looks back at the camera, satisfied. We watch the screen turn pitch black.

"He grows on you doesn't he." Bruce says after a few seconds of awkward silence. I only nod.

"Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?" Steve asked, he seems angry and professional once again. Not that I blame him anymore.

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract." Thor explains. That sounds awful. It sounds like a big deal. What did I get myself into?

"An army? From outer space?"

"So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for." Bruce connects.

"Selvig?" Thor comments, torn.

"He's an astrophysicist." Bruce confirms.

"He studies the branch of astronomy that employs the principles of physics and chemistry. To ascertain the nature of the heavenly bodies, rather than their positions or motions in space." I explain, better. Impress covers some faces but I ignore. I can't be arrogant. Was that arrogant to say?

"He's a friend." Thor rephrases and I frown. They discuss and soon are interrupted by no other than Tony Stark.

"That man is playing GALAGA! Thought we wouldn't notice. But we did." Tony states obnoxiously making the room lighter. He turns covering his eye, and looks at Nicks monitors. "How does Fury do this?"

"He turns." Agent Hill tells straight faced.

"Sounds exhausting." Tony messes with a few things. "The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source. A high energy density, something to kick start the cube."

"When did you become such an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?" Agent Hill raises an eyebrow. First sign of real emotions.

"Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the Extraction Theory papers. Am I the only one who did the reading?" I chuckle at Tony as he seems personally offended.

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" Steve interrupts seriously.

"He's got to heat the cube to a hundredand twenty million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier." Bruce explains.

"Unless, Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunneling effect..." Tony says.

"Well, if he could do that he could achieve Heavy Ion Fusion at any reactor on the planet." I add finishing my last bandages that I stole before leaving the room from before.

"Finally people who speak English." Tony stands beside Bruce who is also standing. Me putting away everything from the first aid kit beside Bruce.

"Is that what just happened?" Steve questions making my emotionless face crack for a slight second. Tony and Banner shake hands. A glimmer in their eyes shines as the mutual respect for each other shows.

"It's good to meet you, Dr. Banner. You're work on anti-electron collisions is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster." Tony compliments.

"Thanks..." Bruce awkwardly replies. I am standing now. Tony takes my hand to shake, sending a wave of pain up my arm.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Stark." I stammer ignoring the pain, "I'm Isabelle Short."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Shortie." Oh god no.