55. Closer

Clint carries the child safely to his sister onto the lifeboat, after this a man goes over to help Clint with his wound.

"No, no. I'm fine." Clint lies down next to the dead body of Pietro, "Oh, it's been a long day."

I feel streams run down my cheek as I stumble to him, "Pietro..."

Clint hears me whimper, "He saved me."

"I saw the... whole thing." I hiccup as we take lift off, I hold Pietro's hand the whole time. We ride till we get to ground, somewhere safe. My eyes are puffy from crying the whole journey, Clint hasn't said anything since. Pietro gets colder and colder. I feel his body become still and I remember how fast he was. How fast he could still be. The air feels empty, the world seems unclear. I don't have words, Wanda wouldn't be able to hear the truth from me right now. I'm too shaken up. We land but I can't stand. The medics pull Pietro away and I clutch his hand for the last time. Clint slowly rises from his seat and watches Pietro go. He seems lifeless as he watches and leans against the seats for support.

"A hero." Clint manages to stay serious with his soft compliment. A farewell to a once hated super.

"Let me help you." I gesture for him to lean on me instead of the chairs. He rests against me and I help him walk till we get to where we need to be. Clint supports me as I still cry while I support his body.

-

Sometime later we arrive at avengers headquarters. Clint went home. I stayed here. I first tried to find Wanda. She was a priority. I see her sitting at a seat, in a darkened room. I slip in.

"You were there, weren't you?" Wanda sounds completely emotionless when she asks, "Weren't you supposed to look out for him?"

"He was fast." I tell, "I didn't even realize what was happening."

"He's always been fast." Wanda replies.

"I'm so sorry. If I only knew what he was doing." I feel my lip quiver.

Wanda shakes her head and ushers me to sit with her, "I in no way blame you."

I stay quiet as I sit next to her, I finally see her tears, "Come here."

I pull her into a hug, her gesture was meant for me to comfort, "He loved you, you know. You left and it broke his heart."

"He loved you most, we saw it." I reply, "I'm so sorry I left, I wish I had an explanation."

"Again, we don't blame you." Wanda tells, "I'll help you remember, if you'll have me."

"I wouldn't want anything else." I smile and we cry for a little. Then we're commanded to suit up. I hold her hand, just as I did Pietro before. We slowly make our way to the meeting place, in our amazing outfits might I add. We wait until we hear a door click above us.

Steve exclaims, "Avengers!"