27. On your right

My hands are wrapped with cloth. I begin punching the punching bag aggressively. With every hit a new memory surfaces. Steve barging into my home. Punch. Putting the gun to my head. Punch. Falling out of the jet. Punch. Hydra. Punch. Falling from the helicopter. Punch. Phil. Punch. Getting controlled by Loki. Punch. Chitauri. Punch. Yelling at Steve. Punch. My parents. Punch. S.H.I.E.L.D. Punch.

"Fuck." I curse with a whimper and pull the boxing cloth off my hands in a hurry. I feel sudden panic. 6 missed calls from Tony, I can hear the 7th. I guess my anger blocked out all sounds. Its ringing only added to my anger. I'm pacing but by the time the last ring hit I punch the bag to the floor. I look at my hands, huffing wildly.

"You ok?" Steve calls, he's wearing Under Armor and it is tight on his build. I grab my cell and nod at Steve to quiet him. I listen to Tony's messages and decide to call back. In each message his voice changes emotion. He's been going through a hard time, at least thats what I hear through his calls.

"Hey, Shortie... Sorry for the spam." Tony sounds tired, but he sounds ok. He called a few years ago much much worse then the messages from today. He explained then what was going on, a terrorist or something. I saw he died on television days after that.

"No it's good to hear from you." I sigh, "I just was dealing with things. I'm sorry." After a few exchanges we get off. I promise him I'll visit soon. I rub my forehead and attempt to lift the punching bag but struggle. Steve surprises me when he's suddenly at my side. He helps me lift the bad and returns it to its place.

"How'd it get down there?" He unexpectedly asks.

"I hit it." I whisper and gather my things. I pull a tank over my sports bra and fix my shoes in a comfortable place on my feet. I look at him and he's staring, "Ready to run?"

"Are you?" He asks and I hollowly nod.

"I want to." I state. He smiles kindly and gestures me to follow him. The whole time we walk and stretch I'm completely in my head. Ever since we parted all I felt was confusion and self doubt. I guess I'm still analyzing New York even two years later. Nat says maybe I'm having anxiety like Tony. He's close to recovery but I haven't really even looked into anxiety before. We arrive at the spot we wanna run.

As we are getting ready Steve leans close to my ear, "If you need a break let me know."

I snap, "Oh honey you'll be the one begging to rest." It's flirty but we are comfortable. We've gotten close these past two years. Even though he doesn't know anything about my panic attacks. We sprint around, he's a little faster. Ok a lot faster. But I always claim he's cheating cause of his super speed shit. He passes another runner and comments.

I mimic him, "On your right." I say as I barely move ahead of him. We're neck and neck when Steve passes us.

"On your left." He chimes.

"Uh-huh, on my left. Got it." This man huffs.

"Stop being so cocky!" I return as he speeds up. I speed up as well and leave the stranger cheekily. But by the time Steve comes back we're neck and neck again.

"Don't say it. Don't you say it!" The man calls knowing as well as me that Steve is being a little shit behind us.

"On your left!" Steve grins and we curse to ourselves.

"Come on!" I roar trying to catch up. We both do for a second but it's only that second. Steve's just too fast.

"He's inhuman." The stranger jokes, still running with me.

"He isn't human. Completely cruel." I nod. After a long time this stranger beats me but we don't exactly come in first. We can agree on that. We rest at a tree nearby patiently. We're fucking exhausted.

"You were a great competitor." I tell breathlessly.

"You as well, uh, what's your name?" He asks charmingly.

"Isabelle Short, but the psycho calls me Izzy." I smile tiredly. Steve appears before I can get introduced to this nice man.

"You two need a medic?" Steve smiles. He looks as if he didn't even break a sweat.

"I need a new set of lungs." I return sticking my tongue out.

"Dude, you just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes." The friendly stranger joins with shock.

I can only laugh, "Yeah he's always like that."

"I guess I got a late start." Steve says making me shake my head.

"You did." I stand up reminding him I was boxing alone when he should've been there. I wink.

"Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." The man says sarcastically but continues after a second, "Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it."

"What unit you with?" Steve questions.

"58, Pararescue. But now I'm working down at the VA. Sam Wilson." Sam tells. Steve gives Sam a hand to rise.

"Nice to meet you Sam." I smile politely.

"Steve Rogers." He nods at the stranger who now has a name.

"I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing." Sam nods knowingly.

"It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." Steve turns to leave smiling at me.

"It's your bed, right?" We hear Sam say. We return our attention to him.

"What's that?" I ask.

"Your bed, it's too soft." Sam is getting serious. I don't relate to any of this at all. "When I was over there I'd sleep on the ground and use rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..."

"Lying on a marshmallow. Feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor." Sam smiles by Steve's interruption and nods his head. "How long?"

"Two tours. You must miss the good old days, huh?" I stay silent as Sam and Steve talk.

"Well, things aren't so bad. I've got Izzy." I blush at Steve's words, "Food's a lot better, we used to boil everything. No polio is good. Internet, so helpful. I've been reading that a lot trying to catch up."

"Marvin Gaye, 1972, "Trouble Man" soundtrack. Everything you've missed jammed into one album." Sam tells.

Steve smiles, "I'll put it on the list."
Steve gets out his small notebook and notes it down on his list. Star Wars is crossed out, thanks to me and Tony. We look at a sudden mission alert. Nat claims it's a extraction imminent and we should meet at the curb.

"Alright, Sam, duty calls. Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running." They shake hands.

"Oh, that's how it is?" Sam looks at me and shakes my hand waiting for me to retaliate. I shrug.

"Oh, that's how it is." Steve grins.

"Okay. Any time you wanna stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know." Sam persuades, "And Isabelle is welcome of course."

"I'll keep it in mind." Steve says.

"Okay." Sam returns. Natasha pulls up in her car by the curb and rolls down the window.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." Nat smirks, "and my best friend, Isabelle."

"That's hilarious." Steve walks over to her car and gets in, "Im the fossil while Izzy has something respectable.

"Obviously I would." I grin as I get in too. Sam gives Natasha and her car an appreciative look.

"How you doing?" Sam asks.

"Hey." Nat simply replies.

"Can't run everywhere." Steve claims.

"No, you can't." Sam watches as Natasha quickly pulls away and drives off leaving a nice encounter behind.