36. Bucky

Steve throws the agent Sitwell across the rooftop after Sam retrieves him. Nat and I peer behind Steve as we approach him.

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm." Steve requests angrily.

"Never heard of it." Jasper Sitwell pretends.

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?" Steve doesn't joke like Sitwell does.

"I was throwing up, I get seasick." Sitwell protests. Steve uses his might to push Sitwell over the edge of the buildings roof. But Sitwell smiles cunningly, pissing us off even more. "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers."

Steve shakes his head, "You're right. It's not. It's hers." He steps aside and out of the way. Immediately after Natasha kicks Sitwell in the gut and off the roof. We laugh at his screams as they slowly muffle.

"Oh, wait. What about at the bar after New York? Didn't y'all kiss then?" Natasha winks at me knowing I was so out of it that I wouldn't remember such a time.

"Right when Izzy fell asleep while I piggybacked her home?" Steve remembers flatly while my cheeks burn.

"Yeah, I bet she was cute." Nat only smiles, "snoring and all."

"Yeah, I'm not ready to spill about that yet." Steve replies wanted to keep the moments all to himself. Bastard keeping it to tease me with. Sitwell returns in Sams hands as he flies up in a winged uniform. He throws Sitwell onto the roof where he previously was being negotiated with.

When we approach Sitwell again he holds his hands up petrified, "Zola's algorithm is a program...for choosing Insight's targets!"

"What targets?" I growl. And I think of my parents.

"You! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Undersecretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa city. Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to Hydra! Now, or in the future." Sitwell explains anxiously.

"The Future? How could it know?" Steve's question is hilarious to Sitwell.

"How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught Hydra how to read it." Sitwell replies as if it's obvious, "Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, e-mails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores. Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."

"And what then?" I press confused.

Sitwell has a realization and ignores my question, "Oh, my God. Pierce is gonna kill me."

Steve repeats my words more harshly, "What then?!"

I notice Sitwell sweat nervously and stammers out the answer, "Then the Insight Helicarriers scratch people off the list. A few million at a time."

-

"Hydra doesn't like leaks." Sitwell says in Sams car.

"So why don't you try sticking a cork in it." Sam replies annoyed.

"Insight's launching in sixteen hours," Nat tells us as the smooth road continues.

"We're cutting it a little bit close here." I respond nervously.

"I know. We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the Helicarriers directly." Steve informs.

The agent scuffs, "What?! Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea. Isabelle talk some sense into your S.H.I.E.L.D dummies."

"I'm not the captain." I chuckle.

"But you're superior. Stop trashing the Hydra name." But that's the last time we ever hear from Sitwell. We hear a thud on the car roof and an arm slams through the car glass windows. In seconds Sitwell is pulled out and thrown into the busy streets. Steve hits the breaks tossing the Winter Solider onto the ground. He attacked us. But we get hit making it easy for the metal armed man to rip out the steering wheel of our vehicle.

"Shit!" Sam yelps out while Nat shoots at the figure. But the Winter Solider disappears and Steve grasps the door beside him.

"Hang on!" Steve breaks the door, holding onto us but four people is too much. I let them fall and skid across the road. They have scared expressions as they see me jump into the drivers seat. I try to relax and I hit the breaks as hard as possible. And when that isn't quick enough I slide and shoot both tires swiftly. With that I'll slow down enough to jump. I leap at the perfect moment before our car plummets. I'm split from the rest, I can hear the gunshots as if it were right by my ear though. I become fearful from this. I moan as I sit up from where I fell. I push myself up and slowly make my way toward the gunshots.

"Get out of the way! Stay out of the way!" I hear Nat call to civilians and run from the evil figure after her. She is shot in the shoulder and I grit my teeth angrily. I pull out my white pistols and cockily spin them in my hands before shooting at the Winter Solider.

"That's for my parents." I smirk. He turns and gives me an annoyed glare. With that I charge toward him, he simply strides toward me. I leap over him and kick the feet from under him. I pretend to punch his face but elbow him in the gut instead. This makes him hiccup in pain, but he grabs my waist and throws me forward. I knew he'd pull this so I land on my hands and feet. I glide slightly but lift my head confidently. He slams his metal fist into my back making me wince. This shouldn't have been unexpected but it was.

"That's for betraying Hydra." The Winter Solider snaps.

"Whats with everyone saying I'm related to Hydra?!" I let out a cry but Steve jumps in and attacks him. They battle it out. In the process the Winter Soldier takes Steve's shield and throws it at him. Steve manages to avoid being hit though making me sigh happily. I pull myself up and crash my pistols handle on top of the Winter Soldiers head. He spins around in pain, grabbing my wrist. He twists it around with his metal arm making me scream. I collide my foot to his crotch making him grunt. I scream in his ear, "Tell me what you know!"

"You're like me." He whispers and grabs me by the throat. It slowly becomes harder to breath and I silently call for help. Just in time my becoming bloodshot eyes catch Steve approaching again. Steve pulls him by the shoulders back and they fight again. I cough in exhaustion as I attempt to back Steve up. The Winter Solider slams his arm against my head. The Winter Soldier's mask comes off, as he looks around at Steve we learn the true identity of the Winter Soldier; Bucky Barnes. My eyes are wide, even I can recognize this.

"Bucky?" Steve sounds innocent and shocked when he questions the man before him.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" Bucky goes to shoot at Steve. But Sam flies in swiftly and kicks Bucky aside easily. Bucky takes aim once again. But Nat uses the same grenade launcher dropped earlier to weaken the Winter Solider who vanishes in the smoke of the explosion. I hear sirens and suddenly we are surrounded in the midst of the chaos.

"Drop the shield, Cap! On your knees! Get on your knees! Now! Get down! Get down!" Rumlow is back, and he's commanding us viciously. "Get on your knees! Down!" The agent kicks Steve's leg and he is kneeling down now.

"Watch it!" I hiss protectively.

"You watch it, Cold Shoulder." Rumlow presses, using my hero name. Bitch. I spit at his feet. An agent slaps me across the face and I lay on the concrete with a stinging cheek. He steps on my injured wrist and I yell.

"Hey, enough!" Rumlow orders, but there's no sign of urgency toward me, "Don't move. Put the gun down. Not here. Not here!" Rollins, another agent, lowers his gun from Steve. And the agent worsening my already broken wrist stops as well. He pulls me up to my feet after releasing me. We are being filmed from everywhere now. We aren't in a good situation and now the world sees that as well. I stare at Steve and see the defeat in his expression. I become overwhelmed with anger. But mostly confusion. And I don't doubt Steve is feeling the same way.