43. Clints been hit

"You don't have to come with us this time, Isabelle." Clint reminds empathetically. We are far from home now. He's a little late with his offer but I've been hearing it all day.

"We're already on our way. I'm fine." I'm thankful but I roll my eyes, "Nat did you really have to tell everybody?"

"Hey, you freaked me the hell out. And I've never seen you cry before." Nat explained.

"I didn't... shut up Nat." I ignore Steve's gaze, not wanting to see the concern.

"Seriously Isabelle, you can talk to me." Nat is quiet but the awkwardness still fills the room. I don't think I've ever heard her so concerned. She sounds like a mother, or a big sister wondering why her favorite sibling isn't talking.

I stare off into nowhere in particular, "Let's talk after we beat some Hydra ass." This makes everyone satisfied, or maybe that's something I'm imagining. I travel into the mindset I used to have. I could laugh out loud but I don't. For obvious reasons. I look at Steve for the first time in hours, he isn't even looking at me. It's odd because I never catch him looking somewhere else.

"We're here." Bruce interrupts the quietness. I don't know if I should be grateful for it or not. Thor lays his thick palm on my shoulder.

"You're so brave, I am glad to fight alongside you." Thor smiles, "We can discuss concern later!" I simply nod as a reaction. We slowly make our way out of the vehicle. It's freezing out, my shoulders revealed by my uniform are cursing at me right now. I match the snow covering the ground until we slam our footprints into them. We tried to be quiet but unfortunately the enemy has found us. Let's get to it then. Eventually a full ass war breaks out. We split up as we face many of the enemy.

Tony curses as it gets harder, "Shit!"

"Language!" Steve exclaims, "JARVIS, what's the view from upstairs?"

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other Hydra base we've taken." I hear all this through my earpiece.

"Loki's scepter must be here. Strucker couldn't mount this defense without it. At long last." Thor feels triumph already.

"At long last is lasting a little long, boys." Nat says as I see her fight numerous men at once. All from a distance and it still looks hella cool.

"Yeah. I think we lost the element of surprise." Injured Clint replies.

Tony pretends to be shocked, "Wait a second. No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said "language?""

I can practically see Steve roll his eyes, "I know. It just slipped out."

"Sir, the city is taking fire." Jarvis tells Tony.

Tony nods, "Well, we know Strucker's not going to worry about civilian casualties. Send in the Iron Legion."

"That didn't go so well last time, Tony" I remind cautiously.

"Well as long as we tell them we're here to help they'll just have to live with it." Tony remarks.

"Yeah cause they can understand English." I roll my eyes as I fight more agents, the crowd beginning to thin.

I hear Clint grunt through the earpiece as he's been hit, "Ouch shit."

"Clint you ok?" I ask but I hear nothing but him getting blasted.

"Clint!" Nat cries.

"We have an enhanced in the field." Steve says to us, I'm assuming the same person who took out Clint. I start running toward Natasha's screams to find him laying painfully.

"Clint's hit!" She checks his wound and I stand above them nervously,
"Somebody want to deal with that bunker?"

I see hulk take it out and I smile, "Thank you."

"Stark, we're really need to get inside." Steve requests.

"I'm closing in. Jarvis, am I...closing in? Do you see a power source for that shield?" Tony questions.

"There's a pathway below the north tower." Jarvis tells.

"Great, I wanna poke it with something." Stark blows up the invisible shield on the base and I cheer, "Drawbridge is down, people."

"The enhanced?" Thor asks, more like reminds.

"He's a blur. All the new player's we've faced, I've never seen this. In fact, I still haven't." Steve explains and I raise an eyebrow.

"Clint's hit pretty bad, guys. We're gonna need evac." Nat informs, I take a look at Clint's wounds and nod.

"He's lost a lot of himself, we'll need Dr. Cho." I agree explaining how his side is busted open.

"I can get Barton to the jet. The sooner we're gone the better. You and Stark secure the scepter." Thor says urgently.

Steve replies, "Copy that."

"Find the scepter." Thor says while still in battle.

"And for gosh sake, watch your language!" Tony jokes.

Steve sighs, "That's not going away anytime soon."

"We're locked down out here." Nat says midst of the chaos.

"Then get to Banner, time for a lullaby." Steve orders nicely.

Nat looks at me with concern but I reassure her, "I'll stay with Clint."

Nat leaves me with the panting man, "Isabelle?" He stammers.

"Yes I'm here. You're going to be ok." I assure kindly, I wipe his forehead with my wrist gently.

He winces, "Is Nat ok?"

"She's with Bruce now, for sure." I explain with a smile.

It's hard to watch him choke from his pain, "That's good, I'm glad she's alright. If anything happened-"

"We're all ok, Clint. Only scratches!" I reassure again.

"Not me." He laughs making him shake more, "But I'm happy it wasn't anyone else, especially you Isabelle!"

"Dr. Cho is going to fix you up! Don't make me cry over you." I try to joke, "Just because you don't have a girlfriend doesn't mean-"

"Ok ok stop! Not funny." He smiles genuinely.

Tony interrupts, "Thor, I got eyes on the prize."