84. Safe with Steve

The Raft Prison is as bad as it sounds. Mostly because I'm bedraggled in a cramped prison cell. Definitely because I have undoubtedly gotten a concussion and broken bones. But I'm also overly scared, overly damaged and I'm overly guilty. Sam updated me through the wall as best he could with the time we had. Saying Steve and Bucky got away thanks to Nat. Informing me on Rhodey's condition because Ross had shouted at him that Rhodey was practically paralyzed and we were to blame for his spine. Telling me it'll be ok and to bare with the pain. Sam did wonders for me, tried healing my emotional scars as well as verbally lifting the physical scars too. Communicating with me slowly so my brain could consume every bit as well.

"They got out, that's all that matters." I slur slowly, the only thing I could verbally say after all I heard. There were moments of silence. Moments I heard cursing from Clint, weeping from Wanda and Scott's monologues. It was cold in the deep ocean, if my arms weren't tied behind my back I would've commanded the ocean to save us all now. Especially when Tony walked into the chamber of cells.

Clint claps, "The Futurist, gentlemen! The Futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you, whether your like it or not."

Tony slowly strides up defensively, "Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'll put you here. Come on."

"Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony." Clint spits.

"Yeah, but not some super-max floating ocean pokey. You know, this place is for maniacs. This is a place for..." Tony's interrupted.

"Criminals?" He stands up aggressively, "Criminals, Tony. Think that's the word you're looking for. Right? That didn't used to mean me. Or Isabelle or Sam, or Wanda. But here we are."

"Because you broke the law." Tony argues.

Clint replies shortly, "Yeah."

"I didn't make you." Tony defends simply.

Clint ignores, "La, la, la, la, la..."

Tony says, "You read it, you broke it."

"La, la, la, la la..." he continues.

"Alright, you're all grown up, you got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think about them before you chose the wrong side?" Tony walks off from the argument.

Clint shouts, "You gotta watch your back with this guy. There's a chance he's gonna break it."

"Hank Pym always said, you never can trust a Stark." Scott mocked.

Tony kept walking, "Who are you?"

"Come on, man." Scott paces.

I squint my eyes as the light changes, Tony's in front of me but I can't meet his eyes. He kneels for me to see him and my eyes tear up, "Hey Shortie."

"So you remember my nickname and not our friendship?" I glare willingly now.

"I can't believe they put you here without helping you medically first." Tony said with sad eyes.

"They checked. They diagnosed. They strapped me in my cell." I explained hoarsely.

"They could've done better. We all could've done better here." Tony told and I slammed my side to the glass.

Forced to leaning against it I screamed, "You took the only person I ever loved. After everything, you took all the people I cherished. You could've done better, Tony."

"I know you're angry." Tony notices. "But you did that yourself."

"I'm heartbroken. Again." I feel tears stream, "Not only at your actions but also for loosing you."

"I'm glad to see you care equally for me as I do for you." He stands to walk off and I curse at his sarcasm.

"You care for me my ass." I close my eyes relaxing against the glass.

Sam was next, "How's Rhodes?"

"They're flying him to Columbia Medical tomorrow. So... fingers cross." I hear Tony speak, "What do you need? They feed you yet?"

Sam laughs slightly, "You're the good cop now?"

"I'm just the guy who needs to know where Steve went." Tony reminds.

"Well, you better go get a bad cop, because you're gonna have to go Mark Fuhrman on my ass to get information out of me." Sam retaliates and I smile tiredly. There's a long hesitance and I open my eyes weakly to check if Tony's left or something but he's still standing there clicking his phone.

I'm shocked at the pause that Tony explains, "Oh, I just knocked the 'A' out of their 'AV'. We got about 30 seconds before they realize it's not their equipment. Just look. Because that is the fellow who was supposed to interrogate Barnes. Clearly, I made a mistake. Sam, I was wrong." I can feel the urgency and passion in his voice.

Sam hesitates, "That's a first."

Tony continues, "Cap is definitely off the reservation but he's about to need all the help he can get. We don't know each other very well. You don't have to..."

"Hey, it's alright." There's a moment to sigh, "Look, I'll tell you... but you have to go alone and as a friend."

"Easy." Tony replies. And with that Sam tells Tony the exact location and Tony assures him his thanks. For once I believe him fully. It's all I can do. All I can do is pray. But mostly I have to be patient. I have to give it to Tony. Even when hours pass I have hope. It's an unsettled room and I want to avoid it. I barley can see the figure slide in with a honorable smile. I can grin and feel at ease as Steve appears greeting us quickly.

"Oh thank god you're here." Scott praises, "I'm tired of this small room, I think I understand what it means to be claustrophobic."

Steve slams himself against the glass, "I'm here to protect your freedom, can't be free in a box." The first glass wall shatters and he continues for the other cells.

"You really surprise me sometimes." Sam grins but winces as more glass shards scatter.

Everyone's out swarming but Wanda and I, Steve hurries to unlock me. Sam peers concerned and I'm loose again. I'm free and I leap toward Steve as best as I can. Feeling him next to me and knowing he's back makes my head feel less pain. We all stand and I lean against Steve uneasily, "Are you alright, Izzy?"

Sam clarifies, "When you both got away she was covered in the boulders that almost smashed you."

"Oh my, we'll get you help as soon as we escape." Steve assures and I smile.

"No rush, I'm feeling better already, Solider." My smile only grows as we take nerve wracking routes toward our exit. We emerge after hearing only sirens, a few mini battles in between. I'm hanging onto Steve while we enter the jet Bucky is waiting in. Steve helps me sit and gently glides his fingers against my head. He presses a kiss on my forehead, my cheek and softly on my lips before turning to the rest.

Steve announces after pulling away, "Buckle up. We're heading to Wakanda."

-
"You sure about this?" Steve questions Bucky who lays in an open containment.

Bucky assures with a gentle smile, "I can't trust my own mind. So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going back under is the best thing... for everybody."

"We'll be here when you get out." I say as he lays back and ices in his spot.

"Thank you for this." Steve tells T'Challa.

"Your friend and my father, they were both victims. If I can help one of them find peace..." T'Challa explains poetically.

Steve reminds, "You know, If they find out he's here... they'll come for him."

T'Challa smirks staring out at the land before him, "Let them try."

"I'd be betting they wouldn't." I smile before meeting with Shuri, T'Challa's intelligent sister. I didn't know for sure what would happen to me but I was in good hands. And if I were best placed in the same type of tube to be frozen I wouldn't oblige. I felt safe here, I felt safe at last.