30. Peggy

"Nat I swear you're getting out of hand." I stomp up to her as we reunite quickly after we got back to headquarters.

"I'm nudging my baby birds out of the nest. Y'all need to push." She replies with a sharp attitude.

"There's no feelings?! I do not understand your middle school drama you've invented." I defend, "You pulled it out of your ass!"

"No Isabelle you are in denial. We all see you two frolic." Nat protests, "We're placing bets, I owe Tony $35."

"That's disgusting." I glare angrily.

"It was a joke." She smiles slightly and laughs awkwardly. "I'm sorry for pressuring the ideas but Jesus I want you two to be happy already."

"I'm happy alone, Steve would agree that we aren't interested." I claim calming down. "That's how it is."

"Look meet up with him," she changes the subject, "You both need to amend your outbursts."

I nod waking away, "My outburst."

-

I forgive rather easily when it comes to Nat. I have gotten used to her doing obnoxious things now. Sometimes she crosses a line but we always go back to normal eventually. We're lucky in that way. As I walk to streets of D.C. in casual clothes I try to rehearse an apology. Steve's with Peggy at the moment, he wandered till he ended up there. That usually happens. I predicted this and waited outside her whereabouts for Steve. A gloss covers his serious features and I stand from my seat. He notices me right away.

"How'd you know I'd be here?" He questions softly, surprise resting on his face.

"I'm a stalker." I smile jokingly and gesture him into a hug. He falls in weakly. Steve has gotten comfortable with me, maybe more so than I with him. That's kinda obvious though. His slouch worries me but I rub his back knowingly.

"Peggy isn't doing well." He tells and I listen. The in between silences aren't awkward. They're filled with respect and peace. Though the situation isn't peaceful we always seem to ease the other. He pulls away slowly and looks down at me with sad eyes.

"I'm sorry for everything." I say, I usually don't have the right words for these kinds of things.

"If you're talking about earlier... It's fine. We were all heated." Steve defends for me.

"I'm apologizing for that and many things Steve." I reply softly, my voice a melody to Steve's ears.

He just waves his hand dismissively, "No need for apologies. I always forgive you and I will always accept your apologies even when you haven't even said them yet."

I blush, "You're a charmer." I murmur and he laughs.

"Only for you." He chuckles as we start walking. It's better like this, a friendship where we can be ourselves. We walk till we get to the PTSD group meeting where Sam is counseling other veterans. I don't fit in but Steve convinces me that the New York battle could count.

"Some stuff you leave there, other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase or in a little man-purse? It's up to you." Sam says after a women shares her recent experiences. I take it to heart even after the meeting. Steve and I wait for Sam when it's over.

"Look who it is. The running man and the walking women." Sam teases.

"Hey you were behind me, remember?" I remind jokingly.

Steve interrupts, "Caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense."

Sam nods turning his attention to Steve, "Yeah, brother, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret."

"You lose someone?" Steves face melts sorrowfully.

Sam nods again, "My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till RPG knock Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry." I rest a hand on his shoulder. Pain twists in my heart for him. I can't imagine, it reminds me of Tony's sacrifice. I push away the panic that rises.

Sam continues, "After that, I had really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

Steve becomes optimistic, "But you're happy now, back in the world?"

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?" Sam grins.

"No. I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did." Steve says unsurely.

Sam laughs, "Ultimate fighting? It's just a great idea off the top of my head. But seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?"

Steve pauses, "I don't know." He then looks at me.