10. Son of a-

"You know, I don't understand Steve's deal with you," Tony huffs and I trip a little because of his words.

"Mr. Stark I don't get what you mean-"

Tony interrupts me, "You two bicker like an old married couple. Don't get me wrong he is old." He unrelentingly states and ends with a halfhearted laugh.

I growl, "Mr. Stark please refrain-"

"It's Tony, Shortie." He sighs out and massages his temple. I think him and I agree we are over arguments now. If only he would let the conversation end instead of carry it out so much. My thoughts even piss me off. I sound like Steve.

"Tony, I feel you are angry about something completely different than me and Steve's exchanges." I say softly after I calm down. He stops dead in his tracks. We don't say a word as we walk slowly enter into the room. We stare at the empty cell container.

"Was he married?" Steve asks walking in moments after we did.

"No. There was a uh... cellist, I think." Tony says. I can't tell when he's joking or not anymore.

Steve nods, "I'm sorry-"

"He seemed like a good man." I interrupt hollowly. Steve glances at me.

"He was an idiot." Tony states rudely. I bite the inside of cheek as Steve's face changes with irritation.

"Why? For believing?" Steve defends. But honestly I don't blame him, Phil was a faithful and hopeful person.

"For taking on Loki alone." Tony points out.

"He was doing his job," I return, "Exactly why I left," I mutter that last part. Steve looks at me confused but Tony talks before any questions are asked.

"He was out of his league. He should have waited. He should have..." Tony stops and Steve continues.

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." Steve states.

"Right. How did that work for him?" Tony glares slightly and I huff aggravated.

"Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?" Steve becomes more composed, kindly.

"We are not soldiers! I am not marching to Fury's fife!" Tony sneers, I jump at his fierce remarks.

"Neither am I! He's got the same blood on his hands as Loki does. Right now we've got to put that aside and get this done." Steve suggests, "Now Loki needs a power source, if we can put together a list..."

I interrupt, "He made it personal."

"That's not the point." Steve says looking me in the eyes.

"That is the point. That's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?" I stutter a tad and Tony nods. Tony's listening for once, taking in our conversation carefully.

"To tear us apart." Steve confirms as if it's obvious. Which it appears that way but...

"He had to conquer his greed, but he knows he has to take us out to win, right? That's what he wants. He wants to beat us and he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience." Tony says fast, as if we're on to something.

"Cocky bastard would." I click my tongue in disgust.

"Right, I caught his act at Stuttengard." Steve shakes his head.

"Yeah. That's just a preview, this is opening night. Loki's a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered..." Tony pauses and his eyes widen, "Son of a bitch!"