71. Stitches

My hair rises as my power flourishes knowing Amara is gone, "No time to chat any longer. We can catch her."

"No we can't. We've lost our chance." Clint disagrees. I ignore them and dart forward from where Amara was last. I destroy the rubble from the explosion which seemed to just be a decoy instead of anything massive. I simply follow her trail, as if I'm an animal in pursuit of their prey. As my instincts and observations help me I'm lead to a very jumpy lady sprinting toward an escape vehicle. When I run faster I feel lighter until I'm risen from the ground and flying fast at Amara's direction. Her eyes widen as she slows, knowing I've caught her. I grab her throat as I did her mother and stay in place to watch the color drain from her face. But my hand doesn't tighten around the fools neck and I take my other hand to place it around Amara's wrists. It's easy as I pull them behind her back and handcuff her with my ice.

I pin her down to the floor as I roar, "It's over. This game is finished and your time is up."

"You still are easily controllable child. I'll get the chance to kill you again for my mother." Amara's terror erases and sudden anger replaces. I pin her harder against the ground and she winces again, not having the upper hand any longer.

"You won't control me or any ever again." I say confidently as I rise up. She feels she can move until I press my boot to her back. My fingers graze my hair where the twitching once was and I can picture the chip that was placed in my head. The chip could've been recent as well as old but it didn't matter. It was a backup and I wasn't going to let it stick around. I pinch and scratch until a wound forms. The blood gushes but I dig with my finger deeper to find a small device hidden in my head. I fling the bloody thing in Amara's eyeshot and she curses. The rest of the team charges up to us. When they slow their run they notice my wound and the cuffs around Amara. They smile at my victory but return to business by grabbing Amara to take her in.

"There will be a day I will get my revenge." Amara spat at my feet, "You freak!"

"Plan that behind bars then." I snap before she's forced away. The scene becomes night in minutes and Amara is gone. We checked the building for any signs of mind control equipment or any hydra remains. But there was nothing. And because I ripped open my head I needed medical attention or I'd soon be bleeding to death. The old hydra base was later replaced with the white walls of the medical quarters of avengers tower. All I could think is that it'd be great if Bruce was here to fix me or if Thor was here to cheer me up as always. I snuggled in as Tony and a couple of nurses took care of me. Tony scanned my head to make sure there wasn't any more chips and the nurses stitched me up. The morning I awoke with Steve beside me with a mug and a joyful smile tugging at his lips.

"Thank god you're up!" Steve rejoiced, "Ready for our date?"

"Our date?" I fluster and my heart rate hurries, "This doesn't look like a coffee shop."

"I would beg to differ." Steve smirks handing me the mug and I blush with gratitude. I take a sip and I close my eyes as the warm liquid rolls down my throat.

"I hope this is decaf." I giggle, "Thank you for coming this early, it's very sweet."

"I'd always love to bring you a decaf coffee." Steve grins, "But brought in different circumstances."

"All worth it just to see Amara's angry reaction." I chuckle slightly and wince when my head adjusts wrongly, "But I'll definitely need to be generous with my brain moving forward."

Steve pulls my hair behind my head, gently skimming the stitches on my scalp, "I'm here if you need anything. During or after recovery."

"You're too good to everyone." I curl my lips showing my teeth genuinely.

"Glad to with you." Steve shrugs slurping his own coffee.

"Such a flirt." I snicker and clink my mug to his happily. Weirdly enough this hospital room is very romantic, finally having our coffee date here was a perfect decision.