89. Thanos

"Are you okay?" Vision is laying on the ground and flinches as he reunites with Wanda, "What? What is it?"

Vision answers Wanda hesitantly, looking around the area in fear, "He's here."

The wind picks up and my palms twitch, "Its true." I inform biting my lip.

"Everyone, on my position. We have incoming." Steve announces and the trees around us shiver. The only noise is the leaves rustling and I feel uneasy. All gathered together as a group we witness a cloud of blue portal in a purple alien. We know exactly who it is when he steps through.

"What the hell?" Nat accidentally says our loud in shock. The only sound other than whistling branches. Bruce stands closest to the alien and turns to us in confirmation.

"Cap. That's him." Bruce announces.

Steve enhances his shield as she starts moving forward, "Eyes up. Stay sharp." We all follow Steve. Bruce reaches Thanos first, lunging forward his fist but Thanos uses a stone and pushes him into the cliff behind him. As Thanos freezes Bruce there Steve is thrown by purple energy before he's even gotten close to him. I dart forward on foot and he sinks me into the ground and buried me under the dirt. Panicking I feel as though I'm being buried alive. Thrashing under the ground I feel the dirt roll into my mouth and down my throat. I cough inhaling the specs into my lungs. Tears sting my squinted eyes as I try digging myself from the ground. Is this it? Is Thanos gonna win? Thanos, a man I never heard of, got all 6 stones and won against us. He may be known to the galaxy but to me he's just a brat who wants it all. There's muffled screams above the dirt and I'm desperate to get out. Thud after thud I can count each avenger defeated. An explosion still met my ears and I scratched at the earth faster. Everything went still, even the footsteps charging against the earth stopped. Did he win? Did we get him? I keep digging until I see a tiny hole of light. With hope I keep pulling my body up and flinging chucks of dirt down. But a sudden power pushes me lower. I feel the pit of my stomach unease at this. It's not another explosion but it radiates misfortune. My body emerges from the ground eventually and I fearfully scan the quiet area. Is Steve ok?

"What'd you do? WHAT'D YOU DO?!" Thor angrily shouts and I pull my feet from the hole I came from. Thanos uses the Space Stone and teleports away. Now standing, I slowly approach Thor ignoring the dirt I'm covered in.

"Where'd he go? Thor... where'd he go?" Steve desperately asks while holding his side in pain. The wind is still eerie but my palms warn me. The air flows with uncertainty. Like it's whispering a taunt and a warning to me. Standing beside Steve I stare at Thor who gaps.

"Steve?" Bucky looks at his palms worriedly as if he's feeling the same vibrations. Bucky suddenly stumbles to his knees until he face plants to the ground into ashes. Steve makes his way eagerly, sits beside the ashes and looks around in shock. I look at my hands nervously again in between looks to check on Steve. We hear calling from the others and Steve adjusts his seat to face Vision who's close by. Rhodey, Bruce and Rocket are near to mourn him when we see his body is dull grey, a corpse in the sea of green. Worryingly I notice no sight of the others that aren't here yet, imagining them turning to ash makes my stomach ache. I can't face Visions body, I can't picture the others disappearance, but my eyes still adjust to the ash on the ground as well as the body laying in front of Steve. I didn't want to look but the white wide eyes pulled me in and tears began to warp my own. When Nat runs up I see her slow when she notices Vision too. She looks as though she's going to gag which makes me queasy myself. I didn't want to look.

After I release the dirt that made its way to my stomach I hear Rhodey break the silence with astonishment, "What is this? What the hell is happening?"

There's silence again and we only hear the trees in the wind, I wish I had the energy to wipe the wind away completely. But I wish more that I had the power to reappear the people who have passed. Realizing this I cringe as I kneel beside Steve comfortingly and he hesitates to speak with utter shock, "Oh, God."