93. Tonys daughter

The car ride was dreadful next to Scott, he kept yammering about any possible topic. I stared ahead and if Scott directly talked to me is when I would nod. Only. Tony was completely off the map it would seem, hidden within a forest of thick green. I admired it, wanted the drops of rain to trail down the leaves till it would droop off delicately to the forest floor. I breathed in the clean air as it pushed through each tall standing tree. Closing my eyes I could feel the chill of fog nip at my nose with the rolled down windows. Steve rolled them up as a lake came to view, it was quite large and I imagined what it must feel like to wake up to it every morning. Pulling up to a nicely built cabin we slowed to a complete stop. Tony held a young girl in pink and held a unhappy frown. I wished to turn around the car immediately and return to the paradise behind. We stepped out in a quick motion and approached our old friend. Everyone wore serious expressions, I only watched Iron Man blankly.

"So no hello?" Tony asked, "Just gonna be uninvited guests ruining a perfectly good morning?"

"Oh how we missed that sarcasm." Nat smiled awkwardly at Tony. I only stared at the little girl in his arms. She looked at me cutely but no smile appeared on her features. She seemed curious, not at all fearful.

"Who are you?" I could've sounded kinder as I asked the child but she bravely answered.

"I'm Morgan." She introduced.

Tony scuffed, "I thought mommy told you to never answer strangers unless daddy or her tells you it's ok."

"Right." Morgan remembered cutely and snuggled close to her father.

"She's cute." I put simply with no smile.

Tony gave me a weird look in reaction, "Did you sell your soul or something Shortie?"

"Yes I did." I replied truthfully earning an awkward silence from the rest. Morgan shivered a little as Tony's eyes widened.

"Oh well that was an on the nose guess then." Tony looked to his daughter reassuringly as he added, "I didn't know I would get that correct."

"Your daddy's smart." I replied straightly, "That's why we are here, Morgan."

"Oh so you couldn't do the math, Isabelle? Did you sell your brain too?" Tony joked. He plopped his daughter to the ground gently and gestured her to the door, "Go run and tell mommy people came here without asking me first and one is cosplaying as Casper the unfriendly ghost."

As his daughter ran away without looking back I said, "It was nice meeting you."

Tony turned for us to follow him up his long porch, "Thanks for being kind to my daughter, Isabelle. But to be honest whenever you talk I feel like you're summoning a demon."

"I get that often nowadays." I answered.

"Honestly this is the most she's talked this whole time." Nat explained and I snapped my lips shut, "But there's other things to worry about before that. I think you might enjoy it too."

"I doubt I'd enjoy anything you've brought to me, Natasha." Tony's sarcasm grew harsh now. His daughters absence allowing him to unleash his irritation. I couldn't blame him. Especially cause I agreed.

-

"Now, we know what it sounds like..." Scott finished explaining and I stiffened.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Steve encouraged as Tony still hadn't said anything.

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition. Can we agree on that?" Tony explained making us all blink unaware.

Tony gave a drink to Steve who replied, "Thank you."

"In Layman's terms, it means you're not coming home." Tony repeated easier.

"I did." Scott defended.

"No, you accidentally survived. It's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull off a... What do you call it?" Tony raised an eyebrow.

"A time heist?" Scott slyly tried to tell.

"Yeah, a time heist. Of course, why didn't we think of this before? Oh, because it's laughable? Because it's a pipedream?" Tony cooly snapped.

"I agree it's laughable." I almost whispered earning a groan from Scott.

"At least thats one thing we have in common now Jack Frost." Tony crossed his arms.

"I told you all this was a waste of time." I murmured, "Can I leave now?"

"The Stones are in the past. We can go back and get them." Scott insisted.

"We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everyone back." Nat explained.

"Or screw it up worse than he already has, right?" Tony told.

"I don't believe we would." Steve nobly replied.

"Gotta say, sometimes I miss that giddy optimism. However, high hopes won't help if there's no logical, tangible way for me to safely execute said time heist. I believe the most likely outcome would be our collective demise." Tony stared at Steve educatedly.

"Not if we strictly follow the rules of time travel. That means no talking to our past selves, no betting on sporting events..." Scott started.

"I'm gonna stop you right there, Scott. Are you seriously telling me that your plan to save the universe is based on Back To The Future?" Tony joked.

"No." Scott grew flustered.

"Good. You had me worried there. 'Cause that'd be horse shit. That's not how quantum physics works." Tony informed.

"But if it were you to help them..." I added earning a hopeful look from Steve, "It could work."

"Are you trying to flatter me, Shortie?" Tony grinned through his irritation.

"I'm only saying the facts." I grumbled.

"Tony... We have to take a stand." Nat encouraged.

"We did stand. And yet, here we are." Tony reminded.

"I know you got a lot on the line. You got a wife, a daughter. But I lost someone very important to me. A lot of people did." Scott grows desperate and I look at his confidence raging, "And now, now we have a chance to bring her back. To bring everyone back. And you're telling me that won't even..."

"That's right, Scott, I won't even. I got a kid." Tony finished madly as his daughter stomped out.

"Mommy told me to come and save you." Morgan murmured as Tony picked her up.

"Good job. I'm saved." He smiles gratefully, "I wish you'd come here to ask me something else. Anything else. Honestly, I... I missed you guys, it was... Oh, and table's set for seven."

Steve ignored his offer for dinner, "Tony, I get it. And I'm happy for you, I really am. But this is a second chance."

"I got my second chance right here, Cap. I can't roll the dice again. If you don't talk shop, you can stay for lunch." Tony answered and everyone remained speechless as he entered his home again. The door shut behind him and we all returned down the steps we walked before.

"He's scared." Nat says.

"He's not wrong." Steve nods.

"He's definitely right." I grumble.

"Yeah, but I mean, what are we gonna do? We need him. What, are we gonna stop?" Scott frantically questioned.

"No, I wanna do it right. We're gonna need a really big brain." Steve suggested.

Scott gestured to the enormous cabin behind himself, "Bigger than his?"