18. Sacrifice

After a little more battle Natasha is heard through our ear pieces. She explains how she is able to close the damn portal. I rejoice inside as Steve permits the choice quickly.

"No, wait!" Tony exclaims hurriedly.

"Stark, these things are still coming!" Steve emphasizes.

"I got a nuke coming in," my stomach drops at his words, "it's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

We see him with the nuke now heading toward the portal, "Stark, you know that's a one way trip?" Steve says.

We only get silence in return, which makes me angry, "Tony don't do this." I demand.

"Look Shortie, this is what i gotta do," He starts to joke, "I mean Loki got so much attention that my ego is infuriated right now. I have to be the star, just for kicks."

"You can do that later, after all this," I persuade. But the connection is lost once he is past the portal. I question his name numerously, only making things harder.

"Close it." Steve says impatiently as Chitauri scream in pain. Tony did it.

"No Steve you can't do that." I press stomping toward him.

"Izzy I'm so sorry but it has to." Steve tells as the portal closes. Everyone stares.

"You're such a damn fake. You pretend to be this honorable leader, looking out for the team. But you hypropritally let a man sacrifice himself as if he was not your friend." I ramble hitting Steve's chest, "Right when I start to care. Once I give in and trust after all this time you ruin all of it."

I'm crying as I press my forehead on Steve's broad chest that inhales suddenly, "Son of a gun." I look up my blurred up eyes to see a sparkle of red. I pull away from Steve and gap at the hero continuously falling.

"He's not slowing down." Thor's elegant voice worries. He swings his hammer preparing to save him. The Hulk swoops in though and grabs the iron suited billionaire triumphantly. Tony lays within the suit on the street. When we crowd around Tony, its quiet. Thor pulls the helmet covering Tony's face. He's pale and stiff, i've never noticed his features frozen like that before. He seems human as he lays and it makes my lip quiver. The Hulk roars making us jump and Tony gasps awake.

"What the hell? What just Happened?" Tony looks around baffled, "Please don't tell me nobody kissed me. Shortie, you look guilty over there."

I ignore him and lay my hands on his chest and I trace it with gratefulness, "Thank god you're alive." The words escape my lips before my body weakens onto him. My body shakes as I hover over his metal uniform.

Tony calms down from just being revived, "Someone get a bucket, the waterworks are about to flood my suit."

"We won." Steve confirms while Tony rests his Iron Man hand on my head kindly.

"Alright. Hey. Alright." He says, "Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it." Exhaustion leaks from his jokes.

"We're not finished yet. A beat." Thor reminds making me lift my shivering body.

"And then Shawarma after?" His childish beg picks me up to my feet and I wipe my eyes. I sniff as the group assists Tony. Tony is standing now and the boys chatter calmly. Thor pats Tony on the back hardly making Tony glare. Thor doesn't seem to notice though because he is too busy laughing. Hulk is tempted to punch Thor by this. Steve only rolls his eyes, I watch as his sight travels to me. Guilt rests on both our faces and I look away. We start heading to Stark tower in different ways. Thor leaves with a swing of Mjolnir. Hulk follows after him with a leap and a crash. Tony decides to walk, which I think is a great choice. I wouldn't wanna be stuck with Steve alone and Tony has been through a lot. A walk can be a big chance to think, for time to flow by your decisions. You walk slow, you walk fast, you don't let time decide. I know I can be a bitch, I overreact and I am angry. I have never proven myself to be good for this team. Or to be a good friend. I feel bad for Steve and everyone. I was thrown back into this world so quick that I felt walls trapping me. My parents died on a mission and the family I had at S.H.I.E.L.D only lied to me when I was low. My life had crumbled at my feet with surprise. That's why I look at people as if they will betray me at any minute. It just seems safer that way. I had a right to know what happened to my parents. It was much worse that the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D wouldn't even comfort me, the people I grew up with didn't even care. My heart was too hurt. That's why Steve scares me. Thats why I am so scared to get close to the avengers.