60. Return

Just like with Ultron we start going through as much data as possible. Maria dives in and continuously walks and talks with us about her findings. She presents files and we flip through our own as well since Hydra was a big part of S.H.I.E.L.D to begin with. There's nothing with Amara's information, she's a clean slate. But her family is different. A women that goes by Matilda Wolf was the biological mother of Amara. The mother and daughter resembled each other almost as sisters. The father was just of a mystery as Amara. But Matilda was an open book, when everything leaked she was a very popular Hydra leader. She was accountable for murder and participated in the field of mind control where I assume I was placed. Her face burned my mind. It was the exact face I visioned. The most vivid I'd ever seen.

"Odd how we can find everything on Matilda but Amara and her father are nonexistent to the world." Nat notices.

"The way you described her made it seem she'd at least have some sort of background." Sam agrees throwing files all over the place.

"Yeah she was very radiant, it looked like she was about to leave for a meeting and if someone was in hiding why would they call the paramedics?" I scratch my head with confusion.

"What if she wants to be out of hiding? Now that she's found you." Tony suggests making us become silent. There's always that possibility, as scary as it is.

"Maybe she left those clues purposely. Making sure you'd only find her mother." Nat says breaking the fear.

"Only one way to find out." I respond dropping my files and giving everyone a serious look.

-

Steve, Wanda, Vision and Sam follow me off the bus. They wanted to fly but that seemed so extra to me, we weren't going off to war after all. Nat, Tony, Clint and Maria stayed back to take care of the "interesting" parts. They'd call if there was anything helpful, so they kept looking. The night air seemed to mock us, it was cold which made this all the more scary. We smoothly made our way to my old apartment and check it out. We made silent movements as we checked windows for activity. I felt bad for Amara because I truly didn't feel she was someone to spy on but her mother made me feel otherwise. I tiptoe to the front door feeling my gut twist. The others made their way to me but they weren't any way close to help me from what was going to happen within seconds. I could hear the countdown of clicks from the other side until the door slammed against me. I was knocked backward onto the front yard behind me. I hold my stance making the ground crumble under me and the grass rip apart as I slide. I hold the heavy door with ease until I fully stop on the curb. I toss the front door to the side and glare at Amara who is in the entry way of my old home. She tilts her head evilly.

"My hero is back! Finally we can talk for real." Amara sounds possessed as she says.

"So my hunch was wrong. You're just like your mother." Amara growls as I say this to her. Wanda is on her left and she suddenly grasps her head sending a shock through her body. Wandas hands shake until the red spreads to the others. She uses her power to manipulate them. They fall and live in illusions. I shriek in anger and charge at her.

"Oh no no, we aren't going to fight. We are just going to talk." Amara grins as she uses Wanda to freeze my body with her magic.

"Why are you doing this." I force out, I feel like I'm choking.

As I struggle Amara throws Wanda through the window with ease, "You aren't yourself Cold Shoulder. You have so much potential."

As she strides up to me she traces my jaw bone, "Yes I know I have more to me than I know. Get to the point!"

She purses her lips, "Loki and Ultron didn't unleash you like they should've. I know you can be of use to me."

Wandas powers strengthen around me and I yelp, "Stop stalling. I don't care what you do to me but you must release my friends."

"Oh I will. They aren't of use right now." Amara licks her lips with wild eyes and holds my hand eagerly.

"Let them go." I repeat and Amara stops in her daze. She quickly yanks Wanda by the foot through the window and slaps her which undos the visions.

"I must do this quickly then..." She immediately returns as if by magic and starts again, "Longing, rusted, furnace, daybreak, seventeen, benign, nine, homecoming, one, freight car."