16. Assemble

We all look around at the chitauri, Tony lands next to us as we become sturdy. We look badass. Our eyes lift at the sky seeing more of the aliens come through, as if ordered to just now. I grow in anger watching as war becomes more than fantasy.

"Guys." Natasha pulls us from our thoughts.

Tony talks, "Call it, Cap."

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment." He puts simply then points at Clint, "Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."

The two of them nod and Clint asks, "Wanna give me a lift?"

Tony responds, "Right. Better clench up, Legolas." And with that the two are off.

"Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up." Thor spins Mjölnir and flies off.

"Anyone else?" I question jokingly and Steve gestures to Natasha and I.

"You both and me, we stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here." Steve continues smiling at the Hulk who smiles back, "And Hulk. Smash."

"Maybe not too much," I suggest, "Just anything ugly!" With that the Hulk leaps high and crushes everything regardless of what I recommended seconds before. Aliens start doubling in amount now then before. I can see how overwhelmed it's getting for all of us. I decide these guns of mine are useless now and trip an alien and throw it over the bridge instead. Nat rips the Chitauri weapon from her freshly beaten enemy and uses it for herself. She takes the energy rifle and defeats others before tiredly aiming it at Steve.

Nat slumps from exhaustion, "Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal."

"There's gotta be a way, I'm sure there's something up there that could give us a clue." I add in gesturing to stark tower, where the portal started.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it." He replies at a loss.

"Well, maybe it's not about guns." Black widow says as we see more aliens on chariots coming by.

"You wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride." Steve exhales.

"I got a ride. I could use a lift though." She says moving back a little in preparation. I look at the flying space vehicles as does Natasha and I shake my head in disapproval.

"Shit Nat. We can get Tony or Thor to help you get there." I propose harshly.

"What's the fun in that? I think getting to know our enemy might be a good start. Drive around a little and bond!" She chuckles nervously.

"If you're that crazy you might as well ask the Hulk to toss you," I wrinkle my nose up when I grin at her. Shes ready now and Steve is in position too.

He looks concerned as he asks, "are you sure about this?"

"Yeah," she hesitates, "it's gonna be fun. You two need to let loose." With that she runs toward Steve. With the leap from a car and a boost from Steve's shield she is flung into the air. She luckily grabs onto the alien vehicle just in time, if she had been any later she would've missed it.

"Goddamn she's one badass chick," I let out the breath I held, "No wonder she was admired in S.H.E.I.L.D, I was no match."

My chuckles make Steve roll his eyes, "Ten dollars says you're wrong" He says irritatedly.

I giggle mockingly, "You already lost that money to fury."