Chapter 27

After Manik left for study with cabir they saw raj already waiting for them in the study...

Raj could see that though Manik was physically present there emotionally he was just lost somewhere...

Finally raj decided to ask him...

Raj: manik... Kya Hua hai??  Sab Theek hai na??  You look very lost??

Manik looked up at him and raj could see his eyes moist...

Cabir: Manik... Hua kya hai???  Sab Theek hai na??  Nandini... Voh Theek hai na??

Hearing about nandini all his limits went off... He just burst off crying hysterically... All the guilt that has been stored in till now couldn't be held anymore...

Manik started crying palming his face....

Raj kept a hand on his shoulder...

Raj: manik.... Why are you crying son?

Cabir... Neonika ko bulao... Yeh Hamari toh sun nhi raha...

Cabir went and quickly called neonika...

Neonika came running hearing cabir...

She went and sat near Manik on the couch...
Feeling neonika's presence Manik hugged her tightly from her waist...

Neonika started cajoling him... And spoke...

Neonika: manu.... Manu..kya Hua... Mummy ki jaan... Batao....

Manik: m..o..m...nan...dini...

Neonika: nandini... Kya Hua Manik.. Voh Theek hai na??  Tum kuch chupa rahe ho kya??

But manik just couldn't control his tears and speak...

They tried once or twice but seeing him not speaking finally raj spoke in an authoritative voice...

Raj: manik malhotra.... Stop crying.... Chup ho aur batao Hua kya hai...
Get up now... Wash your face... Compose yourself and then tell us what is the matter...

Seeing raj like this Manik finally composed himself...
He went and washed his face and came back...

Everyone settled on the couch to know what is the matter...

Manik: voh... Nandini...

With this Manik told them everything from how she was thrown out of her house and how her family broke their relation with her... Where she was living..... How she had to leave space because of lack of funds..... All the difficulties she had to face from the lift to the conditions of the house and also about what job she was doing, going walking for her job and most importantly how she could not afford the medicines.... He also told about whatever the doctor has told about her medical condition and all the precautions that are needed....

At the end again few silent tears started slipping from manik's eyes whereas neonika too was crying... Other two men were also trying to digest the pain and miseries that pure and innocent soul went through that too all alone...

Manik: aur... Yeh sab Hua kyu... Just.. Sirf isliye kyunki I decided not to tell her.... I did not... I.. Did not wanted her to suffer mom.. Isliye I had hidden the truth about me being alive....Par mom she... She has gone through so much.... Mai kuch bhi nhi kar paya..... Voh akeli sab kuch sehti rahi.... I thought  I was protecting her from the pain.... Par nhi.. Yahan... Yahan toh.... I just don't know mom.. Mai kya karu... This guilt..... This guilt of failing to protect her is eating me up... I wasn't there with her when she needed me the most.... I failed mom... Mai har gaya...