PHASE 27 - THE LOVE STORY ACCORDING TO KRISTOFF

Tiara’s eyes are so shiny, being wet with her own tears. She’s like a heartbroken dog who has no idea why her owner left her at the animal shelter. To lighten the mood, I caressed her head and encouraged her with a smile.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be your temporary family. I’ll help you find your twin brother and also your father.”

Tiara sniffed and tried hard not to cry. When she’s about to burst out, she immediately gave me a warm tight hug. Every hug is like the first time. She’s really soft and squishy, and I had the urge to squeeze her until she suffocates. She’s a living stuffed toy.

“Thank you, Rikkun…” Tiara softly whispered in my ear.

That hug should help me calm my nerves. But I know my blood pressure would be sky-high again once we stepped out of this bar.

Because I have to meet the man I hated the most.

<>

We were on our way to the infirmary when my attention was grabbed by a middle-aged woman with long hair. She was wearing an apron and seemed to be going out until she realized my face.

“You’re Alaric, right? It’s been years!” The woman said.

“I-I’m sorry ma’am, who are you again?”

“I’m Kristoff’s mother.” The woman said. “I’m glad that you’re here to visit!”

The middle-aged woman guided us until we reached room number 15 of the dialysis sector. When Kristoff’s mother opened the room, I was dumbstruck.

Kristoff is comfortably lying on his adjustable bed, in a 30-degree tilt. He is still tall and dark, but he’s no longer handsome. There are scars all over his face and his left eye is covered with bandages. What’s more is that his right feet look lifeless. He seems to have finished his dialysis a few minutes ago.

Everything was wrapped in an awkward long silence.

“I’ll leave him to you now.” Kristoff’s mother went out of the room to buy for snacks.

And Tiara… Has been drooling over the basket of fruits laid on the desk beside us.

“You can have it, miss.” Kristoff broke the silence as he talked to Tiara. Tiara replied with a swift “Thanks!” and then proceeded to eat the fruits, bananas first.

“I didn’t imagine that we will meet again under this circumstances.” Kristoff then said to me.

“Yeah,” I smirked a little. “Looks like you got too salty in your breakup that your kidney failed to handle it.”

“Rikkun! Stop being so rude!” Tiara glared as if she's telling that she’s going to smack me with a fruit basket.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. I got carried away.” I scratched my head.

“That’s okay. I don’t expect you to understand me anyway.” Kristoff made a sorry smile. “I know that after all these years, you felt betrayed by me and Amy. But now that you are a Gate Guardian, it’s time for you to know the whole truth.”

“I already know.” I curled my eyebrows and crossed my arms. “Stop washing Amy’s hands as if she didn’t do something so dirty. Look, Amy just rebuilt our friendship, and we’re okay as friends now. You don’t need to beat an issue that has been dead for two years.”

I turned my back and grabbed Tiara’s arm, signaling that we should go away. But Tiara shook her head, silently telling that I should hear the handicapped guy first before going. And also, she’s still chomping down the watermelon slices.