PHASE 19 - KISSES CAN NEVER BE THIS SWEET

“Hey, Rikkun… Is it alright if I get a kiss?…”

...

I covered my face.

What the heck did I just say!? Did I actually say it? No, I’m sure I said that correctly! I’m not even stuttering or anything! I perfectly said it! Wait! Do I look that desperate? Why am I begging for a kiss while I haven’t confessed yet!?

I’m sorry! I’m sorry! The atmosphere was so great that I got too carried away and imagined some wild ideas! Now I’m sure he’s thinking of me as a weird creepy pervert!

I slowly opened my eyes to watch his reaction.

Rikkun slowly turned to me with a serious expression. He’s no longer blushing. Wait, is he going to reject me?

“I can’t believe you… You don’t have to ask me for that, just grab it from me.”

“E-E-Eeeeeeeeh!?” My face couldn’t be any redder right now.

“Here.” Rikkun reached out a pack of Chocolate Kisses from his pocket and poured it on my hand until I have seven pieces.

“...T-Thanks…”

Now that I think of it, I bought three packs of that chocolate yesterday on a whim, and I asked him to keep it for later consumption.

Anyway...

My eyes are no longer filled with hope.

I’m out of words. There’s a part of me that was grateful that he didn’t hear what I meant, but it troubles me that he is a lot denser than I imagined. I had the urge to punch him on the face for being so clueless, but that would be too unreasonable.

I can’t believe that Rikkun chose to be an idiot for this day.

I feel like I just embarrassed myself, and I think that God above is laughing at me right now. So I stood up and made an excuse to go away.

“Um… I’ll go back and check for Naomi and Kristoff. You follow later, okay?”

“Oh, we’re going already?” Rikkun tilted his head. “I’ll come with you.”

“No, you follow later, okay?” I insisted.

“No, we go together-”

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!” I cried as I immediately bolted away from the scene, leaving Rikkun behind my dust.

<>

Ah, I did it again.

I could’ve expressed my feelings for Rikkun if I stayed longer and didn’t chicken out. I should have made it clear that the kisses I meant are not these chocolates. I’m such a wimp.

I started to eat the chocolate bites as I surveyed the surroundings. The beach is no longer populated at this time of an hour.

I finally found the couple. Kristoff and Naomi. They are sitting on the bench as they watch the beautiful sunset.

Their baby daughter is just a meter away from them, busy molding simple sandcastles with her plastic cup.

“Naomi.” Kristoff gently grabbed Naomi’s hand. “I know I’m not worthy of your forgiveness. I know I’m not qualified to be given a second chance. But I wanted to tell you that I… I still love you.”