PHASE 13 - THE FIRST ONE TO DIE

In preparation for the incoming tournament, the Aether Crusade held a meeting at the conference room of the Kozukata Shrine. Everyone is present and now we are being grinded by the uninterested faces of our members.

Heushac is yawning, Key is playing on her tablet, Kristoff is texting (flirting with somebody), Benedict is scratching his wrist, Drex is listening to heavy metal with his airpods, and others… are really minding their own business.

Rikkun and I are on the podium, and we both don’t know how to start this awkward meeting.

The blonde prince is just scratching his head vigorously. This is the first time Rikkun was assigned to be a real leader, so everything must be hard for him. He’s not nervous, he just doesn't have any idea how to act like a real leader.

“U-Um Rikkun…” I whispered to him. “You can do it! Just do what you always do!” I cheered him up by pumping my fists.

“Right.” He sighed. He inhaled so hard as if his lungs are about to burst out. Then, he unleashed it all.

“ATTENTION YOU DIPSHITS!!!”

Aaaah! It’s so loud! Rikkun must’ve forgotten that he’s on the mic and we’re in an enclosed space, so the loud noise only bounced around the room! Our eardrums just cracked!

But on the bright side, we have finally won their attention.

Even Rikkun didn’t have the power to endure his own voice, so he realized that he should tone down a little.

“I called you all here to discuss the Gate Guardians Tournament and our mission on the said event.”

I immediately gave out the coupon bond that contains Rikkun’s plan in the upcoming tournament. I’m doing great as a secretary, yay!

“We will divide the Aether Crusade into two distinct teams. The Tournament Team and the Investigation Team. We have the Tournament Team to be our first topic. Who would like to join?” Rikkun said.

Several people raised their hands up. Heushac, Kristoff, Drex, Emily, and Benedict all gave their resolve to fight in the tournament.

I also raised my hand a little. I’m quite shy, and I don’t want to be exposed as a wild battle-hungry person...

Rikkun counted the persons as he announces the name of those who wanted to join. “Heushac Efilion, Kristoff Anderson, Drex Brynheim, Emily Teronette, Benedict Hamerov, and Tiara Hikari will join the tournament. Honestly, I would like to join the fight too but it seems that Gate Guardians with God Cores are prohibited from taking part in the event.”

That really makes sense for the Black Cross Legion to ban persons with God Core from taking part in the tournament. The main reason for that battle fiesta is to find who is the worthy successor of the God Core of Mars. A Gate Guardian can only use one God Core after all.

According to the papers, artificial Gate Guardians like Key are also banned in taking part in the tournament. It’s kind of a cheat if a Gate Guardian with five special abilities will join in the said fight.

Rikkun continued to talk. “You six will be the members of the Tournament Team. Your main goal is to win the tournament and secure the God Core. You better prepare for the first round, which is a battle royale. You should cooperate with each other and make sure that every one of you will get to the second half.”

Kristoff raised his hand, which Rikkun immediately entertained.

“Question… We do know that we have to collect twelve God Cores, but is it really necessary that we have to win the fight? I mean, we can just borrow the God Core from the winner.”