PHASE 40 - NOW HIRING: THE OUTSIDER NEEDS SOMEBODY TO SING

After my reconciliation with Tiara, I went to the Kozukata Shrine to apologize. I do get a lot of sermons from Ayano that I didn’t bother to register on my brain, but hey, at least I regained her trust at the end of the day. The head priestess Asumi didn’t really doubt me that much so forgiving me is really easy for her.

I stayed at the shrine for the weekends, doing them some favors such as cutting some firewood and using my <Presage> for their fortune-telling business to prove the sincerity of my apology and also to further develop my friendship with the other shrine maidens. These are the things I do just for the sake of my revenge.

I even got extra-nice to Tiara this weekend.

I woke up early thanks to the one pinching me when it was still Sunday dawn. It was Tiara, asking me to go to the cemetery this early in the morning. Normally I would ignore her and continue to be lazy but she said that she’ll buy me a lewd anime figure so I accepted. Besides, I wanted to see what she’s going to do.

We first went to buy a bouquet in an early flower shop in the Heightsburg Market then we rode the train to Dradecim. There, we walked until we reached the cemetery and looked for my deceased friends’ tombs.

This may be her first time seeing it. She was so ashamed of herself this past week, so she didn’t show up at the funeral.

Upon seeing their names, Tiara laid the flowers we bought. She then had her tears flowing as she knelt down and bowed to their tombstones, repeating the words “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I failed to stop my brother, I’m sorry.” The way she weeps on the ground makes me want to shed some tears too.

But then, everything in the surroundings became black and white. Everything stopped moving as the time froze.

“Well well well… What do we have here?”

I heard light footsteps. When I turned around, I saw The Outsider. He was walking casually as if he’s just strolling in this peaceful graveyard.

“Oh, don’t mind me. I just wanted to watch this dramatic scene.” The Outsider laughed.

“You seem that you’re having fun watching us…” I said. “That’s a bad hobby of yours.”

I noticed that his crimson eyes have this different glow from the other silver-haired black-cloaked freaks. It’s giving me chills as if he has supreme authority over us. Like a dark angel, lurking in the pits of the abyss, constantly watching over us just for amusement.

“Those red irises and triangle sigil on your eyes… I’m sure you’re a Cursed Guardian. But why in the hell would you help me, and not Diadem?”

The Outsider smirked. “I don’t care about the plans of the stupid New Order. I’m here to relax, sit back and watch a love seedling grow into a tall and sturdy tree.”

“W-What?” I scratched my head. Seriously, I’m not a literature teacher to interpret those words. But he keeps on answering in Shakespearenese.

“Love is a magnificent thing. The Song of the Frozen Soul is the key to humanity’s salvation, and it can only be sung through a paradoxical love that can even defy destiny.”

“I feel dumb just by listening to you.” I curled my eyebrows.

“Our contract is just plain and simple. I gave you the power of a Fake God, in exchange for a pure maiden with the voice of the goddess, who can sing the Song of the Frozen Soul for me.”