PHASE 30 - I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST

Mondays came in, and we are back to our daily lives. Actually, two weeks have passed without me knowing. There were no extraordinary incidents like Eidolon attacks or Cursed Guardian assaults. It’s like I’m a normal high school guy again.

When I said normal high school days, I mean hanging with my bros, the Nerd Squad. We would skip some unimportant classes just to play PC games, stay up to 3 AM to participate in a giant bunny boss raid. We also sleep in Macho Steel’s boring history class.

Tiara has been busy with her workshop thanks to her Idol Club, so I can only interact with her during sleepy class hours and lunch breaks. Forget it, she sleeps during class and only chomps her meal on lunch breaks so I cannot totally have a good conversation with her!

Amy was also busy investigating about the Cursed Guardian assault incidents, so most of the time, she’s absent. I thought it was a team effort as the Aether Crusade, but she prefers doing these paper jobs on her own.

“I can focus on the investigation if I’m away from the idiots.” She said to me. That may apply to Helena and Tiara, but... am I considered an idiot too?

That’s so like Amy. Back in junior high, whenever we have to group ourselves for a certain project, she would be the leader and do all the job for us.

She said that she’ll call us if there are some matters she can’t resolve on her own.

And Helena… Well, Helena adopted that homunculus Key to their apartment. At least their house will be a little livelier now that there’s three of them in a house.

That’s what I thought until this night when Helena invited me for a small dinner.

<>

It’s so silent here. I can hear the crickets harmonizing.

Their apartment is so-so. Not so big, not so small either. Not so neat nor chaotic. Nothing worth mentioning except that this bungalow is good for a family of four. The only thing that concerns me is that their house smell like poultry. It didn’t matter much for me since I’m already immune from the smells of the putrid siblings.

There’s a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen that kind of balance the foul smell. They should really learn a thing or two from their food.

Helena is humming as she cooks, and Key is busily playing on her tablet. Heushac is also busy on his laptop.

I was minding my own business on the sofa, reading a web novel titled “The Chingchong System”. It is a cliched online game story that is written by a virgin Kirito wannabe. Seriously, you can find these kinds of works everywhere. I’m about to drop this crap because it’s full of fillers and unnecessary flowery words.

I finally stopped reading when somebody grabbed my attention.

“Ric… Tell me, are you hitting on my sister?” Heushac glared at me as he whispered. It’s more like a threat to me. “I’ve noticed that you are spending more time together. If you are, you have to go over my dead body.”

“I’m not,” I answered coldly. “Your sister is yours and yours alone.”

“I told you, I’m not a siscon!” Heushac yelled softly. “Then what business does she have with you?”

“It’s a confidential matter.” Helena butted in as she raised the frying pan, pointing at her brother. “We have a top-secret job together with your classmates Jeannette and Tiara, so we are often holed up together. It’s not a thing where baby boys can meddle with.”