26 July 2018 - Started Learning Hangul

I've gotten over yesterday's disappointment and look forward to my last year in degree college. Today was my first volunteering work for the third year.

They had planned to offer us something extra if we volunteered cause they finally realised that we are no longer going to volunteer just to become waiters and bodyguards and your guides for the day.

So I got ready in full formals and left for college. While applying some super light make-up in the college washroom, I met the university coordinator and she assured me that home colleges only look at final years' marks so I don't have to worry too much about my current marks (even though they are pretty sad).

Anyways, I was looking forward to a different volunteering experience. However
it ended being the usual work. It was disappointing but there was nothing we could do. I had my friends for company so we had a good time. The volunteering work ended way before expected and we had to wait for over an hour and a half for our lectures to begin. We fooled around, made an attempt to talk to the new admin in charge of our batch. Goodness, she desperately needed (and still needs) someone to explain how this institution works and what are our schedules and options. 

After coming back home, I felt the sudden urge to do something productive and learn Korean. I did not want to go for any classes because honestly, I'm not thaaaat dedicated to learn the language but I just want to do it as a hobby. So I tried to look for ways to self learn Korean and came to know that the best way to go about learning Korean is to first learn the Hangul, which is the Korean written script. Apparently it is easier to grasp Korean pronunciations of you know the Hangul. 

So that's what I started with. I downloaded a Hangul/Korean learning app on my laptop and began my first lecture. Woah, Korean is so different! I have learnt another language (French) before but the way of writing here is so different. They divide their words in syllables with mostly each syllable having a beginning consonant, a vowel and an ending consonant.

Today I learnt the vowels and beginning consonants and let me tell you my vocal cords have gone for a toss. Lol.

On the positive side, I think I'm able to pick up the pronunciations better than maybe an American would because in addition to English, I know how to write and speak in Hindi and Marathi and both these languages have some peculiar sounds that are difficult to pick up by a non Hindi or non Marathi speaking individual.

 I'm loving this tho. I'm finally on my way to understanding more about Korea.