3. The Most Wonderful Gift

It's me again God,

Christmas Eve is here at last! Such a special day and one that holds many wonderful memories from my childhood! I am so thankful to think that for my whole life, I have always been able to celebrate the birth of Jesus but I know that for many years as I grew up, this day was mostly exciting because we were waiting the arrival of the man in the red suit and hat! I could hardly contain my excitement as I put out my stocking along with a drink and some shortbread, ready for the one who would come during the night, leaving presents for me to open the next morning!

The interesting thing was that Santa would only come if I had been good. I remember lying in bed, thinking over the reasons I might miss out due to having misbehaved at some point! While the whole legend of Santa seems like a lot of fun for children, it seems that it teaches quite the opposite to the coming of Jesus —more than just the fact that the story is based on lying!

When Jesus came into my life, I was very thankful that I didn't have to lie awake wondering if I had been good enough to receive Him. The truth is that no one could ever be good enough to get to become part of Your family and spend eternity with You in heaven:

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:23‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I am so thankful that although my sin should have resulted in eternal separation from You, I have been redeemed and my future is very secure:

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:23‬ ‭NIV‬‬

What a wonderful gift! Thank You so much that my eternal future isn't about my goodness but all about Jesus, Your perfect Son who would grow up to die, becoming the perfect sacrifice to atone for my sin! Thank You so much for this wonderful gift that is freely given to all the world who believes in You and receives You as their Lord and Saviour!

Father, I praise and worship You for the gift of Your Son so long ago! The Wise Men bowed down and worshiped Jesus because they knew they were in the presence of the promised Prince of Peace:

"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭2:11-12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

They brought expensive gifts to worship You Jesus but I wonder, did they have had any idea that the One they were bringing gifts to, was actually the greatest Gift of all?

As I finish my gift wrapping today, help me to keep focused on this wonderful fact. Father, may I remember with joy the most incredible Good News that because of Your love, I have received the greatest Gift of all!

Jesus, thank You that You are the gift that keeps on giving, as each day You pour out Your Your grace, mercy and love on me. This is truly a marvellous gift that I cannot keep to myself! Help me to be ready to share with others, the real reason for this season of celebration!

In Jesus' Wonderful Name,
Amen.