104. The Big Picture

It's me again God,

Thank You for this time alone with You. It's still dark and in the stillness of this hour, I set my mind on the important questions of the day —what do You want to show me from Your Word? What do I need to know so I can live for You today with renewed devotion? How can I love You more?

As I turn back to Mark, I can't help thinking how wonderful it must have been for the disciples to be with You every day Jesus! Everything must have seemed very exciting as they daily witnessed many miracles and heard Your teaching. Each moment must have been so precious so it must have been quite a surprise to hear You speak of what was to come:

"He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.""
‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:31-33‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Peter's reaction to the news that You were going to suffer and die would have likely been echoed by many who followed You. It seems a normal response for friends to be upset to hear someone they love talking about dying but Jesus, You were not just any friend! As God's Son, You stepped down from Heaven, humbling Yourself to become the Son of Man, born of Mary and fathered by Joseph.  Despite Your humble beginnings, You came with great purpose, You were the King of Kings, Prince of Peace, Emmanuel, God with us and Messiah —Saviour of the world!

Every moment You were with Peter and the other disciples, You were teaching them and helping them to build a picture of Father God and His Kingdom. Peter's reaction to the news shows how strongly he loved You but how little he really knew You at this point. Jesus I can understand why You reprimanded him for rebuking You because the very thing You were talking about, was the most significant event in history which was coming closer day by day —Your death and resurrection which would restore our relationship with the Father forever!

From a human point of view, Peter did not want You to suffer —he did not want to lose You but Jesus You just wanted him to see the big picture that was indeed the rescue mission of all mankind! How quickly we can get caught up in worldly thinking and miss the important things of heavenly significance! Even while serving in a church we can take our eyes off the heart of the gospel, that Jesus You came to seek and save the lost and You died and rose again to bring us freedom from the burden of our sins and a righteousness that completely changes our lives!

Thank You Jesus for being committed to finishing Your mission to save the world so that now each day I walk in freedom! Please help me to keep my eyes on the big picture while I enjoy this new, wonderful life I have as a daughter of the King!

In Your Name,
Amen.