26. Cicadas

It's me again God,

A new day begins and like David, I turn to You:

"Let the dawning day bring me revelation of your tender, unfailing love.
Give me light for my path and teach me, for I trust in you.
Save me from all my enemies, for I hide myself in you.
I just want to obey all you ask of me.
So teach me, Lord, for you are my God.
Your gracious Spirit is all I need, so lead me on good paths that are pleasing to you, my one and only God!"
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭143:8-10‬ ‭TPT‬‬

Thank You that each morning when I set aside this time with You, I can be sure You will hear my prayers and speak to me through Your Word and even through nature around me. Today, as I woke to another hot day ahead, the first thing I became aware of was the chorus of cicadas which had already become rather loud! It's one of the distinct sounds of summer and I rarely give these little insects much thought but You caused my ears to tune into their song today!

It is so awesome how you made every detail of every living thing and it's great to find out interesting facts about small creatures such as cicadas.  Apparently they are the loudest insects on earth! Individually they can produce a sound of around 120 decibels which can be painful to the human ear! How amazing that something so small can be so loud!

Together, cicadas sing in the heat of the day. While they do this to attract a mate of their own species, as they sing together, they are able to ward off the many enemies that are nearby as they simply can't stand the sound of them singing! Immediately, I think of the fact that when I sing songs of worship there is power —enough to send our enemy, the devil on his way! He is always looking for someone to prey on:

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭5:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

When I join with fellow Christians and sing at church, I feel so much power as our combined voices of praise make a melody that Satan's ears cannot stand!

"I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭69:30‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It's amazing to think that as I submit to You and glorify You in song, the devil flees away! I must remember to praise you more!

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
‭‭James‬ ‭4:7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You for drawing my attention to the chorus of cicadas today because sometimes I can think that I am doing okay by myself but you made me for fellowship with other Christians for a variety of reasons:

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:24-25‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The Day of Jesus' return is drawing closer so I need to be doing Your work and fulfilling the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18) —I need to be prepared and protected! Just as a cicada has a hard exoskeleton which protects it's soft body, I need to be protected too, so I put on my armour every day:

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭6:10-13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Tomorrow I will focus in on what this armour looks like —a great reminder at the beginning of a new year! Thank You that You provide everything I need to stay safe from the enemy and thank You for the many special people You have allowed me to join with in fellowship over the years. Together we bring You glory, together we are safe and together we are bringing people into Your Kingdom!

For Your glory,
In Jesus' Name
Amen.