17. Small Things

It's me again God,

As I stood looking at the amazing view over a lake which flowed out to the sea beyond, something very small suddenly took my attention. In the low bushes in front of me, my eyes caught sight of a tiny Superb Fairywren, flitting from branch to branch at great speed, singing a most delightful high pitched song! It's iridescent blue feathers and oversized tail stood out among the scrub and I couldn't help being mesmerised by the speed at which it moved! My purpose had been to look at the wider view but I was reminded that sometimes it's important to stop and notice the seemingly insignificant things, to focus on what is right in front of me!

Thank You Lord for precious moments in nature that draw my attention to the fact that I need to be mindful of the smaller details —there is so much beauty ready to be discovered! Often the smallest things in life are actually the most significant.  It reminded me of the parable of the mustard seed:

"Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds on earth. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds can perch in its shade.""
‭‭Mark‬ ‭4:30-32‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The mustard seed was possibly the smallest seed that was known in the area at that time and yet it grew into quite a large plant! Thank You for this image of what Your Kingdom is like here on earth. It is so amazing that from the small beginnings of the first church, established after Jesus returned to heaven, there has been such growth all over the world! It's easy to think about how great it is to be part of a large worldwide movement and to be caught up in our own particular denomination of Christianity but it's important to remember to look back to the seed that started it all —Jesus!

Although my own connotations of birds are clearly positive, the gospel writers often related them as representing evil. Here their presence on the branches may represent the evil forces that have tried to infiltrate Your church over the years. Satan, constantly tries to bring false teaching to Your gathered believers but I will just keep looking to You, remembering Your Seed that was first sown, so I won't get caught up in things that don't matter! There seems to be too much focus on religious practices in many churches and arguments abound over all sorts of insignificant, man made practices. Getting back to the basics, coming back to You Jesus and what You have done in dying for us on the cross, is what it's all about!

Lord help me to keep my eyes on You today and remember the Seed from which my faith grew. I pray for the world wide church that they would get back to the basics of worshipping You in Spirit and in truth, proclaiming the Good News of Jesus and just learning to love each other! May I be sensitive to Your voice and may my eyes continue to focus in on the precious wonders You have made!

Until You come again,
Amen.