60. My Utmost Delight

It's me again God,

As I lie here in bed at the he break of dawn, I look out my window. Being elevated on a hill,  I can see several kilometres into the distance! While a multitude of trees cover the houses, I can still see some street lights dotted around and at one point, there's a set of traffic lights that are regularly changing from green, to orange and then red. These traffic signals really stand out today as I wait for the sun to rise.  I am thinking how important these lights are for the safety of all who travel on that road. The traffic flows much better when everyone does the right thing and obeys the traffic signals to go, wait and stop. If everyone thought they knew best and just did as they pleased, I'd be hearing sirens in no time at all!

This reminds me of the words David wrote in Psalm 37:

"Keep trusting in the Lord and do what is right in his eyes. Fix your heart on the promises of God and you will be secure, feasting on his faithfulness. Make God the utmost delight and pleasure of your life, and he will provide for you what you desire the most. Give God the right to direct your life, and as you trust him along the way you'll find he pulled it off perfectly! He will appear as your righteousness, as sure as the dawning of a new day. He will manifest as your justice, as sure and strong as the noonday sun."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭37:3-6‬ ‭TPT‬‬

I remember many years ago when I was just entering my teens, my grandmother wrote verse 3 in my autograph book.  I read it over and over. I had already started trusting You and that was okay but I didn't really like being reminded to do what was right —it sounded like hard work and would be inconvenient at times when I just wanted to do my own thing!

I obviously was worried that I might miss out on something when in fact doing things Your way was the safest way and the way that led to great happiness. I discovered as I read Your Word that good things were attached to obedience:

"For the commandment, "Honor your father and your mother," was the first of the Ten Commandments with a promise attached: "You will prosper and live a long, full life if you honor your parents.""
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭6:2-3‬ ‭TPT‬‬

Thank You for all Your promises, which I have discovered are the things to focus on because I want security in my life and with You I am definitely secure! So many times I make various pursuits my focus and they can easily become my greatest delight. Instead I am reminded from the Psalm that I need to put You first above all other things. Today I choose to make You the upmost delight and pleasure of my life. I want You to direct my life in every area.

If there's something You want me to do, please let me see the green light and to go ahead and do it. Help me to be sensitive to Your Spirit telling me to wait for Your perfect timing.  May I be quick to stop when You tell me. I've learnt that You know when I need to rest or if I need to just sit in Your presence and listen to You. May I not be afraid of stopping to lie down in green pastures from time to time. You know what is best for me, so help me to travel safely along this path of life knowing that Your way is the perfect way to go! My heart is fixed on Your promises —I am secure and will feast on Your great faithfulness to me!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.