41

It was Rogers birthday, the 26th Of July, and my pulse was racing just thinking about giving him his gifts.

I snook out of the sheets, having to pry his arm from my waist to escape his grip. To start off the day, I pinned up a paper banner that read 'Happy Birthday Roger' and then began to work on breakfast.

His favourite is cheese on toast, with beans, bacon and sausage. Weird mix, I know, but I love it too so I'm not complaining. I cooked it all up pretty quickly, also brewing a pot of tea to accompany the breakfast.

Placing it all on a tray, I walked into the bedroom silently.

"Happy birthday too you, happy birthday too you, happy birthday dear Roger, Haply birthday too you!" I sang, waking him up to see his groggy eyes and messy hair.

"Aw thanks Rose" He grinned, rubbing his eyes as he took the tray from me.

I jumped back into bed next to him and stole a piece of his bacon, nibbling at it to savour the taste.

"This is divine, thank you Rose" He grinned, taking forkfuls of the food and shovelling it into his mouth.

"It's fine this is your day to relax, babe" I smiled.

"Happy birthday to me" He nodded, sipping his tea.

"Happy birthday" I repeated and stole a sip of his tea too.

—————————————

It was nearly time for the guys to come around, and Roger didn't even know about that. However, I decided to start with the smaller gifts to begin with.

We were scrunched up on the couch and I had the pile of presents before me.

"First one" I grinned, passing him the after shave.

He opened it and immediately sprayed it everywhere, approving the scent with the first sniff that he took.

"It smells great" He enthused.

"Good, But I don't care if you like it or not, it only matters if I like it" I joked, and passed him the next package that was the shirts.

One was plain white with long sleeves, one was blue and one was a knitted vest like shirt, but I know that he will look great in it. I feel like I have an eye for fashion.

"Aw I love these, can't promise that all the buttons l'be done up like" he chuckled, placing them down.

Finally we were onto the main two presents, and I passed him the long thin box that contained the drumsticks.

He shook it curiously, trying to guess what it was even though he was nearly thirty. I hurried him by slapping his hand lightly and he pulled off the paper quickly.

He opened the lid of the box and a look of pure excitement rushed over his expression.

"And look at the bottom" I said, pointing the the RT that was engraved into the blackened wood.

"Ah, there's one on each stick, one for each of us" he smiled, taking them out and hitting them against the table to make a clicking noise.

"So you like them?" I asked, but was interrupted by the door going off.

This must be them.

"Ooh wonder who that is" I joked sarcastically. He gave me a strange look but I didn't get to answer any questions before leaving him excitedly.

I rushed downstairs and opened the door swiftly, only to be face to face with the postman. I tried my best not to give him a sigh, as he sent me a welcoming grin and passed over a few letters. He also held a parcel, which I took and waved the man away.

I flicked through the letters in search of my name, although I have only found one with Rose and it wasn't anything important. I noticed a postcard looking letter, so I read the name and it said 'Roger'.

Well it can't be from his parents, they're in England. I'm here, the lads are here. Who is this from?

Curiously, I began to skim read the paragraphs of writing: however when I realised the context I read it all thoroughly.

Hiya Rog, sending all my love from America! I haven't thought of anymore ideas yet, but as long as Rose isn't home we should be okay. We're going to have so much fun, although I hope you're going to tell Rose soon, I don't want her to get too upset :). The plans are nearly sorted, just need to get the bride out of the equation now and it's complete! Hopefully everything starts coming into perspective for you now. Lots of love, Angela.

My blood boiled. Who the fuck is Angela?

I sauntered upstairs, my hands shaking slightly.

"You okay love?" Roger shouted down, and I even had tears forming in my eyes.

If I was reading this correctly, Roger could be having an affair with Angela.

"Y-Yeah" I called back, finally getting to the living room.

"What's wrong, babe?" He asked worriedly, rushing over to me and placing his hands on my shoulders.

I shrugged them off and clutched the postcard tightly in my fist.

"You're cheating on me. Aren't you?" I said bluntly, only looking up at him at the last second.

"What? No, no Rose I would never!" He said hurriedly, trying to grab my shoulders.

"Then what does,but as long as Rose isn't home we should be okay mean? What does The plans are nearly sorted, just need to get the bride out of the equation now and it's complete mean?" I cried, reading the exact words from the small card.

"Oh god Rose, it's not what you think" he started, rubbing his face with his hand.

"Then what is it?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"I.. I can't tell you" He stammered.

My heart dropped, if it wasn't what I thought then why can't he tell me?

"I'm going to go and clear my head, here's your last present. Happy birthday Roger" I sighed sadly, passing him a small rectangular box along with the postcard.

He took it, and no words left his mouth as I slumped down the stairs, not even grabbing a coat as I shoved on my shoes and left.

Going outside, I bumped into Brian and Chrissie who were just getting out of their car.

He smiled as I neared, but it quickly disappeared when he saw the tears that stained my cheeks.

"Woah woah woah, what's happened?" He asked, rushing over to me quickly.

"I- I think there might be another woman" my lips quivered as I looked up to Brian, who sent me a sympathetic look.