Epilogue

6 years later

Of course, after Freddie's passing our lives changed immensely. There were concerts and tributes to celebrate the life and the music of Queen and Freddie Mercury, spectacular events that left the world in awe at the impact that one man could make.

However, six years later his footprint in this world hasn't shifted.

I held Lizzie's hand as she skipped into the recording studio next to me. My other hand was gripping the small fingertips of our little boy, Freddie, who was four years old.

As we entered, Roger rushed over to us and picked up the two children. Laughter echoed around the studio as he threw them both around, making me laugh as I shook my head at them in amusement.

"Any easier today, Bri?" I asked, resting my head on his shoulder as he gave me a side hug.

"The same, but this song will be great I can feel it. Do you want to hear it for the first time? We have the video and everything" He smiled.

"I may as well now the kids are here" I nodded with a grin, kissing his cheek before going to greet John.

"You okay, Deacy?" I smiled, pulling him in for a tight hug.

"As good as I can be, it just seems to be getting harder though. Listening to his voice on those unreleased songs is really difficult" he nodded, looking down at the sheet music that sat on the piano.

"Yes I can imagine. But just think of how good this is going to be, for everyone. We owe it to Freddie to give the world all of his hard work, we don't want it wasted do we?" I reassured him with a hug and sauntered over to Roger.

He planted a kiss on my lips and gave me a hug.

"Brian said he was going to let me watch the song you've been working on?" I gave him a sad smile which he reciprocated.

"Yeah, it's definitely a good hit. I'm sure Freddie would have sounded better singing it like" He commented.

"Of course he would, he's Freddie Mercury, Roger" I laughed, my eyes already feeling prickly as I remembered my best friend so fondly.

"Wear this will you" He asked, reaching into his bag and pulling out my old baker hat.

"Roger, where did you find this old thing" I laughed, feeling the fabric between my fingers as though it was yesterday that I'd worn it.

I haven't had it on since Freddie passed as it reminded me so much of him. He used to steal it from me all of the time and I always remember that day at the hotel when we took photos on my Polaroid camera.

"It was in my wardrobe. When you threw it out obviously I had to retrieve it" He chuckled lightly, plucking it from my fingers before placing it on my head.

He pulled the cap part towards him to bring my lips to his softly.

"Right, let watch" Brian smiled sadly, pulling a projector down before playing the video.

We all sat on the piano, Freddie on my lap and Lizzie on Rogers, our hands intertwined as we watched.

"A hand above the water
An angel reaching for the sky
Is it raining in heaven
Do you want us to cry?
And everywhere the broken-hearted
On every lonely avenue
No one could reach them
No one but you
One by one
Only the good die young
They're only flyin' too close to the sun
And life goes on
Without you"

Beautiful pictures and videos of Freddie began to flash across the screen. Scenes from tours, live aid, music videos, even them messing around on the stage was included which made the video more raw and heartfelt.

Tears poured down my eyes as I watched my beloved friends sing about our lost one. Roger just smiled at me lovingly and kissed the back of my hand to comfort me.

"Another tricky situation
I get to drownin' in the blues
And I find myself thinkin'
Well, what would you do?
Yes, it was such an operation
Forever paying every due
Hell, you made a sensation (sensation)
You found a way through (found a way through)
One by one
Only the good die young
They're only flyin' too close to the sun
We'll remember
Forever
And now the party must be over
I guess we'll never understand
The sense of your leaving
Was it the way it was planned?
And so we grace another table
And raise our glasses one more time
There's a face at the window
And I ain't never, never sayin' goodbye
One by one
Only the good die young
They're only flyin' too close to the sun
Cryin' for nothing
Cryin' for no one
No one but you"

The song ended, but all we did was stare. Tears poured down all of our eyes freely, but I was positively sobbing.

Freddie turned around and snuggled into me, along with Lizzie who stood on the piano and hugged me from behind.

"Why are you crying, mammy?" Freddie asked, looking up at me with the sweetest eyes.

I gave the rest of the band a sorrow-filled look and picked up my little boy, placing him down on the piano as I stood up.

"I think it's time that we told you both a story about someone very special" I nodded, holding each of their hands in mine.

"What was he called, Mam?" Lizzie asked, plonking down next to Freddie as they both listened intently.

Roger, Brian and John joined me now, wrapping their arms around me as I began to tell the story of our best friend.

"His name was Freddie" I smiled.

"Like me?" He beamed, looking at Lizzie as if to show off.

I nodded with a grin and he bounced around excitedly.

"I'm named after a special man, you're not" He teased his older sister.

"Ah ah ah, your sister here was named by the very special man" I added, making Lizzie stick her tongue out at Freddie.

"So, I met him at a concert..."