Year 1- 9

"Welcome, my name is Professor McGonagall. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours." Professor McGonagall paused and looked at all the new arrivals, her eyes lingering on a few. "The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

As she left a few began to straighten out their uniforms, while Cassiopeia just looked at her surroundings. But her train of thought was interrupted by a familiar voice.

"So, it's true then. What they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." He paused for effect and he gestured to the two boys behind him "This is Crabbe and Goyle" then he walked in front of Harry, "And I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." Ron sniggered from behind Harry, Cassiopeia elbowed him in the ribs to stop, but Draco heard it. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours, red hair and hand-me-down robes. You must be a Weasley." He turned back to Harry, "You'll find some wizarding families are better than others Potter," he then extended his hand to Harry, "I can help you there."

All were watching in anticipation, not knowing whether he was going to take his hand, Cassiopeia knew that he wouldn't and she just wondered what his come-back would be.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks." Cassiopeia laughed internally and looked to Draco to see his face sour, but then he was hit on the shoulder with a roll of parchment. There stood Professor McGonagall looking down on the first-years.

"We are ready for you now." With these words she turned and walked to the large oak doors of the Great Hall. They opened and the group walked down the middle two tables towards the front of the hall, throughout the walk many were staring at awe at the ceiling- however Cassiopeia wasn't shock as she had read about it in Hogwarts- A History. Along with Hermione Granger, who was turning to those next to her explaining that the ceiling isn't real but an enchantment. Already people knew that she was a know-it-all and show-off.

When the group got to the front of the hall, there stood a stall with an old hat placed upon it. McGonagall explained that, upon hearing their name, they would come and sit on the stall and the Sorting Hat would be placed upon their heads and it would decide their houses. She unrolled her scroll and began the sorting. The people that were sorted were: Hannah Abbott; Hufflepuff, Susan Bones; Hufflepuff, Terry Boot; Ravenclaw, Mandy Brocklehurst; Ravenclaw, Lavender Brown; Gryffindor, Millicent Bulstrode; Slytherin, Vincent Crabbe; Slytherin, Justin Finch-Fletchley; Hufflepuff, Seamus Finnigan; Gryffindor, Gregory Goyle; Slytherin, Hermione Granger; Gryffindor, Amelia King; Slytherin, Neville Longbottom, Gryffindor. When it was Draco Malfoy's turn the hat barely touched his head before shouting Slytherin.

While Harry was waiting, he began to notice that none of the Slytherins looked particularly friendly, and he just hoped that he wouldn't become a Slytherin. He also hoped that none of his friends would be one, as Ron had explained to him on the way that the Slytherins were always hated and they hated the whole school, especially Gryffindors.

The sorting continued with Lily Moon; Hufflepuff, Theodore Nott; Slytherin, Pansy Parkinson; Slytherin, Padma Patil; Ravenclaw, Parvati Patil; Gryffindor, Sally-Anne Perks; Ravenclaw, then finally Harry's name was called.

As Harry walked up to the stall there were many whispers following his name, doubting if he was truly Harry Potter. When he sat on the stall the hat made him jump when it began to speak.

"Hmmm, difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh my goodness, yes- and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting ... So, where shall I put you?"

"Not Slytherin, Not Slytherin" Harry began to mutter to the hat.

"Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin could help you on your way to greatness, no doubt about that- no? Well if your sure- better be GRYFFINDOR!"

As Harry heard the last word, he began to feel relieved that he wasn't put into Slytherin. He walked towards the Gryffindor table and began to greet them. The two Weasley twins began shouting "We've got Potter! We've got Potter!". Harry then looked to the staff table and Dumbledore raised his glass to Harry, Harry nodded in response and turned back to the sorting there were now four people still standing there- Cassiopeia and Ron being two of them.

"Cassiopeia Reid!" Cassiopeia was now nervous, mainly because most of her friends were now in Gryffindor- but she also knew that her adoptive parents would want her in Slytherin. She walked slowly up to the stall. As she sat down, she locked eyes with Harry, he nodded to her- as if to say 'don't be afraid'.

"Ummm, difficult- just like Mr. Potter before you. Very difficult. I see that you are very loyal to those who you are friends with, even if you just met them today, meaning that you would make a good Hufflepuff. You have a great mind, you would make a great Ravenclaw. I see a lot of bravery in you, you have great courage, meaning you would also make a great Gryffindor. You are also very cunning and resourceful, meaning you would be a great Slytherin. Yes, there is little that I don't see in your mind. I look inside you Cassiopeia and I see a dark shadow, but I also see great power. And I feel that Slytherin would help you in your journey to power. I also see a fear within you, I see that you fear that if you are placed in Slytherin whether your friends in the other houses would stay with you. Well I can tell you that if they don't stick with you then they are not true friends. I think I can see where you belong, even if you don't want it. Alright, better be...

SLYTHERIN!"

-----***-----

And she's sorted in Slytherin 😊💚

Let me know what you think

Thanks for reading

-Zoe